Thursday, July 21, 2011

Beadboard signs

It’s no secret that I love typography! Before I started painting on tables, I painted words of all kinds on recycled cupboard doors, old canvas, and scraps of baseboard (you can see these here, here, here, and here). After seeing Miss Mustard Seed’s MARKET sign, I was inspired to cut up a piece of beadboard I had left over from a project last summer.

I didn’t do any measuring…just cut off some pieces that looked good to me. I used my Silhouette to design the wording. Since vinyl is expensive, I cut the lettering out of cardstock and used spray adhesive to temporarily fix the letters to the beadboard.

Note: it helps to lay out the letters on your board before your spray them, and make little pencil marks to remind you where to place them after they are all sticky!

This is what it looks like with the cardstock letters on the beadboard, before I paint over them:

aluminum 001

All of the beadboard was base-coated in white before I played with the letters.

The “Market” sign was my first and favorite! I used some leftover paint from a Behr Ultra sample pot to paint over the board. Yes, you get some more bleeding under the letters, but for a sign that will be glazed and distressed anyway, it really doesn’t matter! You also don’t get perfect coverage…but that’s part of the charm.

Bellas 045

I used a small brush and black acrylic paint to “shadow” the letters. I love the depth it gives. Then I sand everything down well, and glaze it with brown stain mixed with a glazing medium, concentrating on the grooves.

I did a couple of French signs. “Boulangerie” is “bread shop,” and “Patisserie” is “pastry shop.” Surely two of the best places in the world to be!

Bellas 030Bellas 031

The “Groceries” sign is the same color as the “Market” sign. Do you like the antique wooden shoe form sitting in front? I got it from I’m So Vintage’s etsy shop!

Bellas 046

I love red. This one would have been great in my kitchen. I grew up on homemade bread, and my family goes through at least 6 loaves every week!

Bellas 047

The “Eggs” sign was inspired by Full Circle Creations.

Bellas 049

I didn’t distress or glaze the “Lemonande” sign. It was so clean and bright as it was…perfect for summer!

Bellas 048-1

Which sign is your favorite? Or do you have another idea for a sign? Be thinking about it, because JULY 25 is my one-year BLOGIVERSARY! There will be a giveaway beginning that day, and one of the prizes will be a sign of the winner’s choice!

What would you want yours to say??

**************************************************

Linking up to these great parties and Saved by Suzy.

43 comments:

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

WOW! Your signs turned out awesome!!!! I LOVE the GROCERIES and the MARKET signs. Thanks for sharing.

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

I love the signs. I may have to get a silhouette machine of my own. So you have a blog on how to use it?

Jennifer Interiors said...

I love ALL of your signs!!! Always have, always will! :)

Full Circle Creations said...

Love your beadboard signs! I think my favorite is the red one too. Although I'm also liking the french ones too. Thanks for linking and liking my Fresh egg sign. I'm still jealous that you've got a silhouette!

Holly

GigiKayT said...

I soo want a Groceries or Market for my kitchen...so adorable!

Myszka said...

I can't decide, all of them are awesome!!!!

Stacy Kay said...

I like the 2nd Market sign (the green one).

Gina at Vintage Junk in My Trunk said...

Love your signs! We were on the same wavelength today!

Ali Richardson said...

WOW!!! I love all of those awesome signs!!! I think my favorite out of these ones is either "Groceries" or "Lemonade." GREAT job!

Ido said...

Korrie, I love them all, but my favorite is the "market" sign, love that color!
XXX Ido

Melody said...

I love the red sign. Red is my favorite color and I bake fresh bread a couple of times a week for my husband and I. We just purchased our first home and I would love a sign that says Willoughby House for the front door. Take care, Melody

Jeanne said...

I'd want my sign to say peace.

You left a comment at my blog asking how to clean little bottles, I typed a paragraph there.

I soak them (w/ detergent) and rinse them, sometimes for days. Sometimes I use vinegar, and/or salt. A bottle brush can be used on some bottles. A baby store sometimes has baby bottle brushes, and there is a tiny brush for cleaning the rubber baby bottle nipples. (Ouch, I hate to say it here, but there is a baby nipple brush. That sounds bad.), Pipe cleaners might also work. You can also take a strip of cloth, or paper towel, push one end into the bottle, and twist more of the strip into the bottle. (Does that make sense to anyone besides me?) Eventually you have a wad of material pushing on the inside of the bottle with each twist. Be careful to untwist the material to remove it. Ending up with a wad of paper towel in a bottle is a pain, then you need tweezers to extract the paper towel... Cloth is easier in some ways, because it won't tear. OMG, it is so funny that I am writing in a post how to clean anything. Cleaning is really not a favorite task... But the results are worth it.

http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/07/potion-bottles.html

maggie said...

I really like them all but my favorite is the second 'MARKET' sign with white letters.

Gypsy Heart said...

How can we possibly choose a favorite? :-) They're all fabulous! I love the red...not sure what I would want it to say...prolly something French. You are so creative and talented!

xo
Pat

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the color of the eggs sign! so pretty! i would love to see a "local produce" sign since i love to buy locally!

Brandi said...

Love your beadboard signs, Korrie! You are so dang creative!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Love the signs, and they are something I might actually be able to do 8-) Thanks so much for linking up to my shop, Korrie.

Jamie said...

I was just wondering if I should try this with my leftover beadboard! You make it look so easy :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I like them all! I have leftover beadboard that I've been wanting to make into signs. I don't think they would be accepted around here. :(
people just don't "get" it.
If I were to win one of your creations, I'd have to think long and hard as to what to get! Something for my kitchen for sure!
gail

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

These are so cute. I wish I was headed to the Patisserie right now! Thanks for joining my party. I'm your newest follower.

bj said...

Oh, be still my heart! You KNOW I love every single thing you do and that MARKET sign...well...I just HAVE to have one. What am I to do? I am talentless..no crafty skills AT ALL.
I am poor so buying one is out...the only thing left for me...IS TO WIN IT IN YOUR GIVEAWAY.
I already have some fingers crossed..next..toes. :))
You did an awesome job on every single one. I am in awe of your talents.
xoxo bj

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Korrie, these signs are all fabulous! I just love the extra dimension you get with the beadboard. I have leftover beadboard in my garage right now. I think I need to get busy! And I think the market sign is my favorite too!

Colleen said...

Your work is very inspiring. Reading your blog has given me so many ideas...thank you! I really like the Fresh Eggs sign. The blue is just beautiful. Keep up the great work!

Bunny Jean said...

They are all so cute. But I think you should make one that says "CHOCOLATE", or "COFFEE"... as I can't get through the day without those two items!

Only problem is that brown is not quite as pretty as the red, blue, green, yellow....

Maybe a pink one with "Posies"!!!

xoxo Bunny Jean

I'm having a "Bunny Hop Party"... come on by and see what's "Hoppening".

Darla said...

I'm not able to choose a favorite as I love all of these!

Megan Gunyan said...

I love all the signs, too! I think the favorite is the Market sign, but I do enjoy a good pop of red as well! Can't wait for the giveaway! Ha!

lifewithquads said...

I'm torn between the market sing and the fresh baked bread sign. I drool over all of the things you do and only with I had the talent and vision to do it myself. I would love to have my house full of these things!!

Vickie said...

AMAZING Korrie!! I am going to have to try my hand at a couple of these.. What is the dimensions of the beadboard pieces you used?

Attic Rat said...

Your signs came out great! I have never heard of a silhouette machine. If I had to pick a favorite, I guess I would choose the Groceries sign. I liked them all, actually.

I have bookmarked your blog so I can come back and visit often :D

Happy creating,
Teresa

Heaven's Walk said...

You are such an inspiration to me, Korrie! I've just recently my love for making signs, too - and altho they're not as great as yours, I'm having a ball creating them! Thanks for sharing your talent with us! :)

xoxo laurie

Heaven's Walk said...

Ooops! Forgot to tell you which sign I like! I fell in love with your "Market" sign! ♥

xoxo laurie

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your signs!! Martina

Jill said...

I love them all but would have to pick the "eggs" one to go with my kitchen colors.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

New to your site, love your signs. I would want one that says Dine In!

Nancy @ dream it ... build it...style it! said...

These are wonderful! They'd be great in my kitchen or outdoor space:) New idea to try.

Anonymous said...

All the signs are nice, but I really, really like the market sign. I may have to make one for my kitchen when we redo it.

Mariaelena said...

These signs are fabulous!!!...great job...love them all....Mariaelena

Ruffles and Relics said...

Love them all.. but I am real fond of the second market sign!!

A Whole Lotta Magic said...

What a great idea; brilliant!

Sue
xo

Jessica Monte said...

I love your signs! I would love a sign that said something like "Cheese! Smile for the camera!" or something silly like that because I photograph kids and families.

abeachcottage said...

They are all great signs, lovely colours and texts :)

Sarah said...

I love your signs!! Thye are beautiful - I have wanted to make a few signs for my kitchen - maybe I will have to use beadboard.
Thanks!

Sarah from The House That Ag Built

Unknown said...

Beautiful! What fonts do you use?