Monday, July 18, 2011

Wouldn’t you rather have something pretty?

There is a Savers store just around the corner from our local Deseret Industries (both are like a Goodwill store). I don’t check it quite as often as DI, but I try to stop in fairly regularly to look for furniture. They don’t have good stuff as often as DI does, but what furniture they do get is usually a great price!

One day a few weeks ago, I walked in the front door to see this table staring back at me:

chairs 001

Oh, I swear the heavens opened and angels sang! Look at those gorgeous legs!

chairs 002

Sure the top was a little worn…but that just meant it had been well loved!

chairs 003

And there were two chairs to boot!

chairs 004

Their legs weren’t half-bad either!

chairs 005

The only problem was a sticker marring the top of the table:

SOLD. Hold until 11 a.m.

I was crestfallen. Sadly I walked away, hoping that the person who purchased these lovely pieces would truly appreciate them.

I continued my rounds, stopping in at DI, then on to Wal-Mart. But I couldn’t get the little table out of my head. When I finished my errands at 10:50 a.m., I decided to stop back by Savers—just in case.

I walked in the door, and the little table looked at me hopefully (or so I imagined). It was still there! I walked away a few feet to keep an eye on it.

A store employee walked by the table and glanced at that tag. He called out, “What’s the story with this table? It’s almost 11:00! If that lady doesn’t come back soon…”

I saw my opening, and leaped in… “I’ll BUY IT!” I said with ill-concealed glee.

Then the wait began. 10:57. 10:59. 11:01! RING ME UP!

The little table…and the chairs…came home with ME!

And we were very happy!

Lest I sound like a true ogre, an effort was made to locate the original purchaser. As far as the employees could tell, she had left the store.

I found a remnant of a beautiful green bird print that was perfect for recovering the seats, and it set the tone for the rest of the makeover…green it would be! I took the fabric in with me to Home Depot and purchased a sample of Behr Ultra in a shade close to the birds. However, when I got it home I decided it was going to be a little too in-your-face green, so I lightened it with some white paint.

On the left you can see the unglazed chair; on the right is with glaze. It mellowed the color just enough, and brought out the interesting details.

greentable 001

And here’s a newly recovered chair seat. I love this fabric!

greentable 005-1

I sanded down the table top and re-stained it in my favorite Minwax Antique Walnut.

greentable 003-1

There’s a 14-inch butterfly leaf tucked away inside.

greentable 002-1

One of the things I love about this table is how narrow it is: only 31 inches. It would be perfect in small quarters.

I still love these beautiful double legs!

greentable 004-1

If I could, do you know what I would use this table for? A craft room. What a great place to spread out your projects! (I coated the top with 3 layers of Varathane just in case!) A seamstress could extend the table and cut out an entire dress. A scrapbooker could assemble a whole vacation’s worth of memories!

greentable 006-1

After all…wouldn’t you rather have something pretty to work on? Who needs that old folding table, anyway??

greentable 007-1

…And when the work was over

…maybe it could just be a nice place to enjoy a glass of lemonade with a friend.

This project has been featured at Beyond the Picket Fence and the DIY Home Sweet Home Project.

*********************************************************

Linking up to these great parties and Saved by Suzy.

60 comments:

Melissa said...

This is so cute! My favorite of yours so far!

Tina said...

You definitely saw great potential in that table and chairs. You chose great colors for it. The outcome is beautiful!

Ang @ Taking a Sunday Drive said...

I LOVE this!! The color is beautiful!!! I'm curious to know....was the price as heavenly as those angels that were singing when you first saw it??

Myszka said...

Lucky you!

Beth said...

Wow! So beautiful and sweet:)! Nice work!
Beth

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Turned out just gorgeous!!! Love the color you chose!!!

Shawna said...

That turned out absolutely beautiful Korrie! Love love colors you chose. The Heavenly Choir must have known the end result when they burst into song...

Gypsy Heart said...

I love it! The fabric is gorgeous and the color you chose is perfect...especially with the glaze. If I could, I'd love to have it in my extra room. Thanks for sharing!

Pat

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks beautiful! i love the soft color and love the legs and unique shape of the chairs as well! it was meant to be for you.... but i hope that lady doesn't read your blog and see her table. ;)

Unknown said...

What a deal! It is simply gorgeous now! Good for you! XOXO

Unknown said...

GREAT JOB I LOVE THE COLOR AND THE FABRIC YOU CHOSE. AND THE STAINED TOP TURNED OUT FABULOUS.

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

What a great table. Your choice of color was spot on. It will make someone very happy indeed.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my goodness, this is so pretty! I love the details on that table. And the chairs are sweet. I have that same fabric in a blue/aqua color, but I like it even better in green. I would love to enjoy a lemonade in this lovely spot!

SImple and Serene Living said...

YUMMY!!

bj said...

This table needed YOU to make it more beautiful than it was when it was brand new. Just LOVE IT.

Brandi said...

you have the most beautiful furniture makeovers. I look forward to seeing what you are going to do next.

BJ_Mama said...

SImply GOrgeous! Great makeover...and I LOVE the green!

reFresh reStyle said...

It is beautiful, I am glad she was still there! You know how to take care of furniture!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

ohhh girl! you're outdone yourself this time! I just did a sewing cabinet, with a stained top and a crisp white linen base. You have me rethinking my choice of white to this lovely green! ohhh man! I love this table and chairs!
super job!
gail

foreverdecorating said...

Be still my heart.

Unknown said...

Two words: Simply Magnificent.

I really enjoyed reading your story about how you got the table too!!

Traci~Moon Gypsy said...

Oh my goodness, I love what you did with your table! Turned out just perfect, the walnut stain looks fabulous with the green paint!

Pick me, pick me to have lemonade with at your pretty table... ;)

Blessings,
Traci

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

So beautiful--love the stained top with the painted base. I'm your newest follower.

Gina at Vintage Junk in My Trunk said...

That looks amazing! Really love it -- what vision you have!

Stephanie said...

So happy for you that the table went home with you! The legs ARE great - love the color you chose!

Jackie said...

How cute thanks for sharing.

Bellen said...

At the first photo I said "that's what I want for my craft room" :) We're on the same wavelength.

You've done a beautiful job redoing - even the color would work for me. Now if I could get my son to move out and give me my craft room back.

Rita's Recipes said...

That is just beautiful! You did a great job with the top finish and legs. It's perfect. It would look darling anywhere. I can see it in a kitchen. Charming!
Rita

Susan said...

Beautiful transformation!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Korrie! Thank you for sharing this fabulous transformation at my Open House party. I love the paint color and the seat fabric is wonderful!
xo,
Sherry

Jen said...

I love that table! If for some reason you ever feel the need to part with it, let me know. ;)
Jesse and Jen

Leighann said...

*gasp!* jaw dropping open. seriously. it's stunning. the top is so beautiful.

Kaye said...

What a beautiful transformation!!! I love that color green!! Nice job!

Kristal said...

You certainly had the angles with you the day you lucked into this set! Love, love the color and fabric combo you chose. It turned out fabulous. As a matter of fact, it would look great in my kitchen ~ LOL!!

XoXo

Kara @ June & Bear said...

She's got great legs. And I love the color. Beautiful transformation.

Jody said...

Positively beautiful!

Jeanne said...

You make your own luck. I would have tried waiting too, and it paid off. Congrats!

http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/07/potion-bottles.html

Miss Char said...

Perfect, it was worth the trip back to the store and standing around until you looked like a table stalker! ;) I love the fabric too and those double legs are fantastic.

Suzy www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com said...

This turned out beautiful. I just did a desk and chair for my daughter in the same color with a stained top. You can see it on my blog. While you are there, please consider joining my linky party, Suzy's Open House Thursday, at www.savedbysuzy.blogspot.com.

Jessica said...

This is gorgeous. I found you at the linky party for primitive and proper. It sounds like you live near me with the DI right around the corner from savers and walmart near by.

Jacqueline said...

It looks great! I love Savers! Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

I love how this turned out! It looks great! I'm your newest follower :)

Irene said...

You did a great job. What will you use it for?

Sheila said...

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I love the look of a dark stained top and painted bottom (on tables anyway!).

Anonymous said...

FABULOUS!!! If you lived in Northern CA I'd buy that from you in a heartbeat. I'm a green girl and this table would fit in my very long and narrow kitchen. Ok truthfully if you lived anywhere in CA I'd drive there. Cross my heart. You have a great talent seeing beyond what's in front of you.

Megan Gunyan said...

It is a beautiful piece. I'm so glad you saved it! The green is wonderful...not to bright and not too dull. You did a marvelous job! Love it!

Kay K said...

What a great job you have done...looks beautiful

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

An amazing find. So glad you were able to take it home with you after you went back. I refinished a bigger version of a table like this awhile ago and I used Minwax dark walnut for the top too! It reminds me so much of my table...but yours is much cuter :).

Restore and Renew said...

Great find, turned out beautiful!
I am a new follower

Anonymous said...

I love it. Love how the glaze brought out the lost details in the chairs. I have an antiue talble that is crying out to be rescued with similiar legs. What you did with this makeover is beautfiul!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

I lOVE the colors you chose...beautiful refinishing work which brings out the detail of table - well done!

Janet said...

What a beautiful table and chairs and an amazing transformation! I love it!

McGee & B Henry said...

Hey That Was My Table!!........
just kidding. But wow what a wonderful job you did on this piece. So elegant and summerlike with the green glazed paint and that adorable fabric. I think anyone would keep their workspace more clean if that was living under the clutter.

peace

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Truly that is a stunning piece of furniture! So funny how you got it (you ogre :) Love the fabric and how you let it dictate the colors for the table!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Absolutely gorgeous - I love how you have transformed it - it was meant to be yours!! Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Jaime Lyn said...

Dreamy, that is all I can even say! I would so die to run into something like this to re-finish! I am so thrilled that we met via my blog because now I am crazy inspired by your furniture re-vamps and up-cycles ahhhh I am for sure a follower---sorry I am a slow kid about getting over here sooner!
Jaime from Crafty Scrappy Happy

Re Batista said...

Wow! I love it!
XOXO

Decor To Adore said...

What an adorable table and chairs! Thank you so much for sharing.

Happy Monday!

Pamela said...

How beautiful! Just love it and all of its green!

Emily said...

Another gorgeous one! I can't stop reading your blog :-D
Can I ask, how do you get your dstressed "worn" effect on the paint?
Thanks!

Emily
emilysummers-designer.blogspot.com