Wednesday, July 6, 2011

World Traveler

Vintage suitcases seem to be all the rage lately, and I caught the bug! I had something particular in mind for this suitcase, which I found at a consignment store.

teatray 002

The top had a tear, and there were a couple of other flaws—not the least of which was a dirty, faded brown color. So, first things first—I painted the whole thing white!

kidpics 006

My husband asked in disbelief: “You painted a suitcase??”

Yes, dear.

But that’s not all.

I did a search on Google for “vintage luggage stickers.” Click on the “images” tab, and you won’t believe what you’ll come up with!

Images like this one:

image

Or this one:

image

Or even this one:

image

And so many more!

I must have chosen about 30 different, cool luggage stickers. I copied them into Microsoft Word and adjusted the size, and then I printed them on cardstock in shades of white, beige, and gray (I wanted them to look old…plus it’s what I had on hand).

I cut out each ‘sticker’ and mod-podged them to the suitcase. A big “Vegas” sticker covered the tear!

kidpics 007

Finally I lightly glazed everything with some dark brown glaze, concentrating on the stitching especially.

Bellas 035

So now my suitcase looks like it has been all over the world….

Bellas 036

…I am so jealous…

Bellas 038

…and what’s a suitcase without a stand to put it on?

I found a luggage rack at an auction, and I painted it white and replaced the flowery ribbon straps with some upholstery webbing.

Bellas 033

Put them together, and I think this would make a really fun nightstand or end table!

Bellas 040

Bellas 042

************************************************************************

Thanks to {Primp} for featuring this project!

************************************************************************

Linking up to these great parties here as well as Thetootsiewootsie

35 comments:

kathie said...

SO much fun!! I love your creativity!

Unknown said...

Love love love this..... Can never not open a post from you!! Always out of the box creativity.

Tammy said...

This is very cute!!! Love the stand with the new straps!

Honey at 2805 said...

You did a fab rehab on this project. Congrats on the outcome~

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Oh my, this is wonderful.... I don't know which one I should drool over the luggage rack or the suitcase... both are amazingly gorgeous! How creatively you have transformed them... absolutely stunning! Use of that webbing on that luggage rack and those luggage sticker idea is sooo inspiring....I loved how your husband said..."you painted a suitcase?"... lol!...Thanks for stopping by this evening and for liking my decoupaged lavender pots.. enjoyed reading your sweet comment. Have a wonderful evening!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

KimMalk said...

Korrie, this is too stinkin' cute! The luggage holder was a great find as well. Men--sometimes they just don't understand the creative process! I want to invite you to take a peek at my current chocolate(!) giveaway. Hugs, Kim

Carol said...

Love what you have done with it!!! I have some old suitcases in the basement just waiting for some TLC :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so good, and I love how you fixed up the luggage rack with webbing. This would make a great side table.

Anonymous said...

Hi Korrie! Oh, I love your suitcase and that was a smart way to find those olden luggage tags!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Unknown said...

wow! that's so AWESOME! great job! I especially love the stickers :)

http://bonniegetchell.blogspot.com

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

You really do come up with clever ideas. I love this! x Sharon

Maureen said...

Super cute and creative! Love it!

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Super cool!

Papillon said...

Love it, love it, love it!!

Stephanie said...

LOVE how this turned out - such a great idea!

Unknown said...

This is brilliant! Now I know another thing to add to my yard sale list!

Kristen @ Urban Farmhouse said...

Love your style! Just found you on the link party and am now a new follower! I think you and I would are "furniture makeover kindred spirits"! I just finished a driftwood table I think you'd like. Great eye for design!

Ido said...

That suit case is so pretty, you're very talented, I have seen some at the DI and I just look at them, I wouldn't know how to transform them, yours looks stunning!
XXX Ido

Charlotte said...

Now I wish I had kept all our old suit cases....I threw those bad boys out several years ago....as the saying goes....always a day late and a dollar short....

Great job on the suit case

Designs on 47th Street said...

Now THAT'S being creative! I would never have thought to paint my old suitcases. I definitely need to do something new with them though. How fun to know about vintage stickers for them on line! Great post! :)

Donna

Gayle said...

Cute, cute, cute! I used Mod Podge on a vintage suitcase awhile ago too - you can see it on my blog a couple weeks back. A totally different look than yours, but still FUN!

bj said...

OK, this is JUST what I need for a room I am about to start work on..Will put suitcase and rack on my thrifting list...THANKS....

Jennifer said...

Such a cute idea! I just recently bought an old suitcase almost identical from an antique mall. Thanks for sharing!
Jen
Scissors & Spatulas

SImple and Serene Living said...

Korrie, I love this. 8-)

Megan Gunyan said...

That's amazing. I love it as a side table! Oh why do I live so far away from SLC??? :)

Full Circle Creations said...

Love it! You have inspired me to do something with my grandparents luggage that has been collecting dust in my basement! Thanks! Great job once again!
Holly

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

So very fun! I have yet to come across any great suitcases like this but it's not for lack of looking! I know there's one or two out there just waiting for me!

Anonymous said...

I never thought to paint my suitcase that I have stacked in my living room. I'll have to do that - thanks for the idea!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh my word... so loving this! What a sweet piece!

Shared this on FJI Facebook for SNS 89. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150302551131141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Unknown said...

love the stickers on the suitcase. great job and very original project..

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so perfect for a guest room! love it, korrie!

Blessed Serendipity said...

Cutie pie suitcase. Love it.

Danielle

Mariel@ www.sexymodeststyle.com said...

ohhhh EMMMM GEEEE... that is soooooo cute! I could like hide my stuff in that suitcase and NO ONE would know! haha.


come link it to my woot woot wednesday party!
www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

How fun:)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

ohhh, great job! :) It looks fabulous.
gail