Thursday, July 7, 2011

From pine to divine

I came across this cute little cabinet…buffet…washstand…at Deseret Industries a few weeks ago. It was finished in the classic orange-y pine stain, but I loves the cute little spindles on each end. That little detail is what makes me think ‘washstand’ when I look at it. Obviously it’s not a true antique, but may be a cute little reproduction (?)

teatray 014teatray 015

This is one of those projects that did NOT go well at first. Have you ever come across a color of paint that you just can’t make work? Once upon a time, I decided to paint our basement family room yellow to bring some light into it. I wanted a warm, sunny, golden color.

What I got was an anemic key lime pie.

I think I lived with it about…oh, 24 hours…before deciding THERE’S NO WAY!!

But I couldn’t just get rid of all that good paint, could I?? So I’ve tried to use it on various projects, and even succeeded to some extent or another. But I tried it on this little cabinet, and it was an EPIC FAIL! Glazing only made it worse. Normally you would consider “yellow” to be a warm color, right? Well, this yellow is the coolest shade of yellow I never imagined! And when I applied a warm glaze to a cool shade…ugh!

Well, a fifty-cent ‘oops’ paint sample came to the rescue, and the whole thing got repainted in a warm, lovely cream (with a dark brown glaze, naturally).

Bellas 014

Nothing really new or revolutionary, here! But I love the classic, romantic feel of the piece.

Bellas 015

I made a couple of linen hand towels (with ruffles!) with graphics from the Graphics Fairy. I love how they look with this piece.

Bellas 018

Bellas 019

So there she is…disaster averted!

Bellas 017

This little cabinet will be available for sale at Bella’s Vintage Market at Wheeler Farms (Salt Lake City) on July 9! “Like” them on Facebook for $1 off admission. The first 10 people at my booth that mention reading my blog will get a free gift!

Linking up to these great parties here.

27 comments:

Shawna said...

Korrie.... this turned out darling! Honestly, the more stuff you keep putting on here the more it is breaking my heart... simply because I can't afford to go to the Market this year! You have to let me know if this one (for some impossible reason) fails to sell because I seriously love it. But then, I have fallen in love with a lot of the items you've posted here! I have to ask... are you local to Orem?

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

Great transformation. Was wondering how you got those graphics on the towels?

kelly said...

cute! i swear, the thing i miss most about living in utah is the DI.

Honey at 2805 said...

Divine indeed - the washstand and the new "vintage" towels.

Unknown said...

Darn. Would have loved to have seen a pic of that scank yellow on the piece before you fixed it!!!!lol

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It turned out so perfect! I love those tea towels you made, too!

SkinnyMeg said...

I love the piece! It's adorable and the color is perfect on it!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Korrie, This is such a wonderful piece. I have made the yellow mistake myself. We had the entire downstairs of our beach house painted what looked like a soft yellow. It looked like big bird had exploded all over the walls. The painters were back the next day to repaint.

Darci said...

cute! i can't believe the awesome stuff you find!!

The Revamped Soul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Revamped Soul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Brilliant save...it all looks gorgeous :)

Deborah March said...

"Anemic key lime pie..." SPLUTTER!! Ha ha ha!! Be brave...post a pic of the yellow failure for us to see. Your transformation is beautiful though, and I love how you just toss in the comment "I made a couple of hand towels with images from the Graphics Fairy." This precious piece will sell in a jiff!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

What a lovely cabinet. Too bad the yellow disappointed. But the end result looks fabulous! Love the towels, too.
- Susan

Full Circle Creations said...

I love it! It turned out great! I would have liked to have seen it in the yellow, now talk about a before and after transformation! HA!

Holly

Gypsy Heart said...

You're really rockin' the projects! I really like this piece. Isn't it weird how colors transform into something we would never have dreamed of?

Can you do a tutorial on the towels? I don't know how to transform a graphic to fabric.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Pat

Heather M said...

Love it! Can you share what you used for paint and glaze?

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

It turned out darling ~! Such a charming little piece! I love the color it is now but I hear you on the paint not coming out the color you planned~ been there! Thanks for coming over and sharing this at FNF!

Beverly@southernhomesweethome said...

Love the transformation. Love your blog and a new follower. Sent you an email about towel fabric..found a great deal tonight!

bj said...

It turned out really cute...

Sue said...

Paint can be finicky but I'm glad that the glazed white is more to your liking now. It sure looks great! :-)

Cassie Bustamante said...

it turned out soooo cute! i bought two gallons of gleeful in harmony paint for our playroom only to start putting it on the wall and see that it looked like i was coloring with a highlighter.... ugh. we had to go back and get a new color, and those two gallons went to the dump- it was like throwing away $60!

Susan said...

I love the tee towels! I would love to know how people put graphics on to fabric! I haven't had the time to look it up!

Karie said...

Oh, I love this! It turned out beautiful. I know what you mean about painting disasters. I have one right now. But, I am too tired to re-paint. I hope my disaster can turn out as cute as yours. I was going to try and come to the sale at Wheeler Farm, but didn't make it. Maybe next time. Thanks for sharing such loveliness. Karie

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Korrie! I wanted to drop by again and thank you for joining my party this week.
Hugs,
Sherry

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love the new look! You never disappoint!
gail

Kristal said...

This pieces looks like it came from 'Little House on the Prairie'. It's beautiful.