Sunday, July 17, 2011

On the Farm

My pictures of my children are sadly out of date.  Rather than go to Target or another studio, I decided to have a friend take some pictures in a more “vintage-y” setting as befits the mood I am trying to create in my home!  My sweet neighbor directed us to a beautiful old farm about 15 miles away, where we were given permission to take pictures.  No one is living there at the moment, but you can see it was once a busy place!  There were treasures to be found wherever I looked, and I *wish* I could have gone hunting through the many ramshackle outbuildings!  I know I would have found some things that wanted to come home with me!
There were amazing old outbuildings everywhere…
kidpics 103-1
And the foliage was taking over!
kidpics 142-1
I peeked in this shed…there was an old washtub, a great old door, and a bike frame where I could see them…
kidpics 141-1
Don’t you just love this little shack?  What a beautiful door.
kidpics 105-1
One building may have been some kind of a guest house.  I loved the “K” (for “Korrie”) on the shutters with the chippy blue paint.
kidpics 108-1
Water storage, maybe?  The tank just peeked out over the bushes.
kidpics 131-1
There were piles of old barn wood and bits and pieces of old equipment all over the place!  I love how the plants just grow up through the tines.
kidpics 133-1
Look at this treasure…an old cast iron bathtub hiding in a thicket!  (Sadly, it did not have claw feet.)
kidpics 134-1
Here is a gate to nowhere…it was just leaning up against another pile of junk.
kidpics 143-1
I would love to have this in a flower bed.
kidpics 149-1
…or maybe this!
kidpics 152-1
This box was just sitting outside with no one to love it.  It tempted me more than anything, but I did not give in!
kidpics 153-1
My dear sweet husband does not understand my fascination with all this “old stuff.” 
What about you? 
Do you see the junk, or do you see the beauty?


Linking up here:
Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

19 comments:

Carol said...

Oh definitely the beautiful!! Such temptations!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

Maybe you can contact the owners and see if they want you to clean up their "junk" and haul it to your house. I mean the dump. :)

bj said...

O, I think most of us bloggers see the BEAUTY.
Give the owners a call and see if they will meet you there and tell you if they want to sell it. bet a kilzzillion dollars, they will. Yahoo for you...finding all this great stuff.
xo bj

Deb said...

BEAUTY....anything with rust on it has CHARACTER! My husband is the same, wonders what in the world I plan on doing with some of the junk (TREASURES)I have piled in the garage! He actually threw old windows from a construction project away the other day and I almost fainted...how dare him! Love the pictures!

Gayle said...

What an awesome setting for family photos - I hope we'll be able to see some of them eventually!

teresaS said...

We 'get' you! It's beauty all around! You have a lot of self-control to leave that box there!

Anonymous said...

The 100 acre farm that I have my eyes on looks just like this. There is a stone building on the property that I have fallen in love with. It screams Paula Deen! True paradise as far as I'm concerned!

Amy Kinser said...

I totally understand! Everything you photographed is gorgeous!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I see beauty! love the tractor seat the best. no, wait, the buildings... oh heck, I love it all.
I bet the pics were perfect!
gail

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Definitely beauty! I bet the pictures were wonderful!!!

Carol

The Painted Parlor said...

I definitely see the BEAUTY! I LOVE that kind of stuff, not sure why exactly!! haha.

Julie

Karie said...

What a beautiful place. Great pictures. Oh, I definately see beauty. Love old junk! I am always on the look. Thanks for sharing. Karie

Sharon Skrivseth said...

My dream place! Give me a day to dig thru these treasures and I'm happy!

Missy said...

Beauty!!!! Mmmmmm.....loved the gate and shutter and tub and....O the "water" tower was probably a fuel container.

Missy said...

By the way how did the family photos turn out?

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

I see it! I see it! Beauty everywhere. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures. I bet your children's photos turned out great!

And thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so relieved to hear I'm not the only one who've failed dry brushing school :). I think I'm just not into the look enough to like the results. Or I'm just doing it wrong. Either way, I'm okay with it!

Love your blog. I thought I was following before, but I definitely am now! Hope you had a great weekend!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I would have wanted to call the owners and said "oh please sell these lovely things to me"

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Oh yes, I see the beauty! I would love the old gate and the wood box.
xo,
Sherry

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

I totally see beauty, and I certainly understand your fascination with it. Great pics, love them all. I love to ride the "back" roads and see things like this.