Sunday, July 18, 2010

Pseudo-Farmhouse Table (Before & After)



Several weeks ago I walked in to DI and found the twin to my kitchen table! Well, it's not quite the twin...my table is a medium oak color, and has the laminate top I insisted on so I wouldn't have to worry about what my children might do to it! Anyway, this table was more of a dark oak, and it was showing some of the ravages of time. The top was scarred and scratched, and the finish was very faded--but it still had both leaves, and was still a sturdy, solid table. However, at $60, it was still a little expensive for an experiment.

So I watched....and waited. Do you know they mark stuff at DI down every week?!? The next week, it was $30...and then $15...and then it had to come home with me. Trust me, I paid a LOT more than $15 for our table!

This is how the table turned out:


Rather than trying to disguise the nicks and scratches, I decided to highlight them and make even more! I literally beat this table with a chain, hit it with a hammer, and scratched it with a screwdriver. I restained the top a dark walnut, letting it stay dark in some areas, and wiping others away for a variation of color. I wanted it to look old and well-loved.

The bottom I painted an antique white, distressed it to show off the pretty spindles and chunky legs, and glazed it with more walnut stain.

I sold this table the same day I listed it, and the lady who bought it hired me to finish more mis-matched chairs (I *love* mismatched chairs) to match! I am super excited. Can't wait to show you those soon!

Here's one more picture:


See the chairs for this table here and here!

Linking up to DIY Show Off
The DIY Show Off

Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

8 comments:

Carrie said...

I love those chunky legs! (Wow, if I weren't talking about a table that would be hard to interpret!) I mean that in the BEST possible way, of course! ;) Great find!

René said...

That looks great! The distressing on the bottom works nicely with the top finish.

-Rene

Ashlee Marie said...

It looks beautiful! I love the redo, I have a table similar to this, that I'm thinking about redoing. I like it. I'd love it if you'd come link up to my Topsy Turvy Tuesday party! http://imtopsyturvy.com

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

LOVE the "new" table! It turned out just great! I've been looking for a nice sturdy table to redo - but haven't found one yet.

Becky Holmes said...

Just stopped by from DIY...great color combo and you did a great job on your table!

NicoleD said...

Those are the exact colors I was thinking of doing my table in. It is nice to see what it would look like. You did a wonderful job!

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Loove this!! I need to start glazing some of my stuff I love the way it looks but I'm nervous! haha

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

that is beautiful! i too paint furniture for a living! isn't it fun to get paid to do something you love! what a great bargain you got on it, did you add the spindles or did they come w/ the piece? excellent job!visiting from sns!