Friday, July 30, 2010

Chairs for the Farmhouse Table!

A couple of weeks ago I finished and sold my Pseudo-Farmhouse Table. The sweet lady who bought it asked me to finish three of her mis-matched chairs to coordinate with the table. Yay! But she really wanted to bring her total of chairs up to eight, so I have been watching DI and KSL.com for suitable chairs for her. As of today, I have finished six chairs for her, and the other two are waiting in my garage! The last two are arm chairs with padded seats, and I still need to get fabric for the new seat covers.

Here are some BEFORE pictures of the table and chairs!


These two chairs belonged to my friend originally. She bought them at an antique store several years ago.

The chair on the left is definitely a "modern" chair, but we figured once it was painted, distressed, and glazed, it would fit right in! The chair on the right is also a true antique--it has a date on the bottom of 1884!! We decided it would be a shame to paint this one, but it needed a lot of work (obviously). Besides a broken arm and back, a dog had chewed one of the front corners!

I forgot to take a picture of these chairs until I had started priming them! (I am a lousy photographer.) I bought two of these off of KSL.com. We both thought they would be a great addition to the "collection."

And here are some pictures of the beautiful AFTER:





Here is one of the chairs in closer detail. All of them were painted, then distressed and then glazed with walnut stain to match the table. It's hard to see in the picture, but the two antique chairs had pretty pressed backs, but they had almost worn away with time. Distressing and glazing them makes them stand out again.

She also has a beautiful buffet, but its back was broken about six years ago. She had the great idea to replace the back with beadboard, painted and glazed to match the chairs and table. It looks fabulous, and ties in so well now!



And here's a picture of the 1884 antique chair, all beautiful again! I can't take credit for this one! When it comes to the really hard jobs, I call on my good friend Michael to pull them off for me. He's AMAZING! There was a chunk missing from the right arm, but he fitted another piece of wood in there so you'll never know unless you go looking for it. He sanded down both of the front corners. He took the whole thing apart, cleaned out the old glue, and then put it all back together again good as new! It's GORGEOUS!


Linking up!
Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk Interiors

href="http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com">giveawayssrc="http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n454/jamielynnye/blog_Page_01-2.jpg"
height="125"/>
The DIY Show Off

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm thinkin' you just need to pretty much come and re-do my whole house. Give me some ideas...... I LOVE what you do! I just have no idea where to start in my house.

Unknown said...

I love mismatched chairs and they look great!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

You did a great job on those chairs. The hutch looks really pretty, too.
Very nice!

Gloria Fox said...

The chairs look great! Can you tell me what DI and ksl.com is?

Thanks!

decorating diva {aka deanna} said...

beautiful! i have been contemplating that very same look for my table and chairs, right now they're a med. oak stain color-but i'm tired of that. and i am lovin' the dark stain w/ the white paint look these days! thanks for sharin' your work! and the antique chair is fabulous! good call on not painting that one! i'm not one to say "don't paint that!" but in this case even i would've restrained my self from painting:) i would love for you to come visit me a cottageromance.blogspot.com when you get a chance! thanks ~DD

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Thank you all for your kind comments!
Gloria: "DI" is short for Deseret Industries--it's a Goodwill-type store run by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. "KSL" is a local news station, that also runs a free on-line classified ad service for Utah (www.ksl.com).

Kaye said...

Amazing old chair!!