Monday, October 21, 2013

Modified Breadboard Farm Table

My dining room is empty again.

I built another farmhouse-style table before the Barn Sale in August, but it didn’t sell there, nor at the October Market.  That didn’t bother me at all, as it looked very nice in my dining room!

Red Hen Home Table 6 007

I made this one a little smaller than usual; it was just 72 inches long rather than 78 inches.  But it would still seat eight, thanks to the narrow pressed-back chairs I found and painted black to go with it.

Red Hen Home pressed back chairs

The other side got a bench (modified from Ana White).  I originally painted the bench a soft dill green, but I didn’t care for it much…so I painted black over the green, but used the Vaseline trick to give it a very chippy finish.

Red Hen Home Table 6 004

I call this table top a “modified breadboard.”  Breadboard ends extend across the whole width of a top, but in this case I only made them for the middle three boards of the table.  So the long side boards are the entire length of the table.

the Barn 030

It just gives it a little different look, which I like.

I also played with a little white wash on this table.  It makes it look a little gray-er, in my opinion, and adds to the look of age.

the Barn 027

This may sound silly…but I’m excited that it’s gone, because now I get to build another one  Winking smile  I am actually working on a HUGE custom table for someone right now, and it’s nice that I’ll have the space to photograph it before it goes to its new home!  But then…I get to figure out what to do next…for ME…

Red Hen Home Table 6 006

…at least for a little while!

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life
A Little Knick Knack

11 comments:

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie it's official - you're a table workshop. Love seeing all the variations each time and so wonderful you're onto a BIG build, those always feel grand.

Lynn Fern said...

So very lovely Korrie!! I can't wait to see the big one as well. I always love all of your tables!

Donna Wilkes said...

Your tables are always a powerful statement in the dining room. You have taught me much about table design.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

That looks beautiful!
Love the white wash on the wood--it does look weathered.
Very homey. :)
Pat

Full Circle Creations said...

Looks great Korrie! And I love the bench!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Korrie,
Awesome table and bench. You will be feature at my party tomorrow...you always catch my eye:)

Blessings,
Linda

Loribeth Clark said...

Oh, come on, Korrie. Admit it. You're never going to make a table for yourself that you won't end up selling. ;) LOL!

My Repurposed Life said...

love the table, chairs AND the bench Korrie. I just decided this morning that I think it's time to build me a table. I love mine, but I'm ready for something a little larger. :) and, like you... I can always sell it if it's not what I wanted.

love your tables!
gail

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love your tables and chairs. Surprised it didn't sell before it did. xo Laura

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I especially love the finish on the top of the table! The bench is really cool too!

Pamela said...

The table looks wonderful Kori! Thanx so much for sharing at THT.