Monday, October 28, 2013

Grand Truss Table & Benches

This could be the one.

Really.

The number of tables that have come and gone in my dining room since the beginning of the year has become a little bit of a joke.

I think this makes seven.

table 7 042

And the funny part is…this one won’t be staying either!

I built this as a custom order for a woman I met at the October Market, but I’m not sure I want to let it go!

table 7 044

This thing is huge—8 feet long!  (That’s why it’s “Grand.”)

table 7 047

The benches are 80” each, and it easily seats 10 people with chairs at the ends—you could squeeze 12 in if they’re friendly!  The benches are an adaptation of Ana White’s Providence bench

table 7 056

The table…well, it was a bit of an adventure.  I started out looking at the Providence Table plans, but I knew I wanted a chunkier base…and the plan page directed me to Design Confidential plans.  Unfortunately, the plans from Design Confidential are not as well-written as Ana’s plans, plus some of the measurements are just plain…wrong.  I had to do a little “winging” of things as I went along.

After my table was done, I found that Ana White does have her own 4x4 truss table plans here.  Oh, how I wish I had realized that at the beginning; it would have saved me a grand headache!  But I guess I can say that mine is an “original!” 

table 7 045

The other big change for this table is the color.  I have been playing with light, old, weathered looks for all the others, and I loved them….

table 7 046

….but I think my heart really lies with dark.  My customer wanted a very dark Pottery Barn-esque finish, I think I achieved it, with FOUR coats of Minwax Antique Walnut, mixed with a little ebony here and there (not a separate coat) for depth of color.  The staining and finishing took FOR.EV.ER, but it was totally worth it in the end.

table 7 049

You can also get a glimpse of exposed hardware on this table.  Rather than use pocket holes (which is problematic on 4x4 lumber anyway), I used 5-inch lag screws to attach the beams together.  It just adds to the rustic quality, I think.

table 7 048

The only way I can reconcile myself to giving up this table is knowing that I can build another one…for me!  Plus, 8-feet is really too big for my dining room, darn it.

I’ll just enjoy looking at it until it goes to its new home!

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life
A Little Knick Knack

13 comments:

the junk in our trunks said...

Beautiful, I love the truss'. Another great table.

Twice Nice said...

That is one awesome table!!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Korrie, this is just gorgeous!!!!!!! You are the WOMAN!! I am so inspired by you, seriously. You make me want to go build awesome things :) Can you tell me what finish coat you like? I just refinished a table I bought on Craigslist, I spent eons (weeks upon weeks) stripping, staining and finish coating, and I'm not thrilled with the finish. Thinking I need to recoat or (gasp) STRIP and recoat again. I'd love your advice on what you use and like.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It's beautiful, Korrie! You did a fantastic job on this table. You know, one of these days you're going to come up with something that you really can't give up! : ) I love the tray in the middle of the table, too. Did you make that, too?

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This table is the good-looking linebacker of all tables! Your customer will be thrilled with the way it turned out.

Full Circle Creations said...

It really turned out great. I hope you do make one for yourself one of these days!

Homeroad said...

You are amazing!

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

What a nice table...I can see why you don't want to get rid of it.

Great job!

Cassie Bustamante said...

oh i really love the look of these!

Hetty said...

Really Korrie, this table looks so nice. Love it!

My Repurposed Life said...

LOVE this table and benches Korrie... I noticed the lag bolts right off and love the touch they add.

sorry for the "grand" headache, but hopefully, the knowledge of this set being in a new happy home will make it all worthwhile.

LOVE it, I tell ya!
gail
ps hoping I have my no-reply blogger problem fixed

Unknown said...

It's beautiful Korrie! Great job! I would have trouble letting that go too! :)

--Lindsey@BetterAfter

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Holy cow, you are just amazing! That is a gorgeous table - love the style and the rich color!