Friday, October 18, 2013

Ombre Stained Dressers

I have been busy building a massively heavy table and two benches over the last couple of days, and I have the sore muscles to prove it!  It is beginning to all come together…today I just need to go buy some wood for the bench tops, and then I’ll be ready to sand, sand, sand…and start the finishing process.

So this morning I’m pulling up a couple of pieces that I sold at the October Market.  My crummy cell phone photos are the best I could do—the weather never was nice enough in the days before the Market to get decent pictures!

Red Hen Home Ombre Dressers Before 1

I found these two matching chests at Goodwill.  I do have a little weakness for mid-century furniture…I love the clean lines of it, although I don’t imagine its something I will ever use in my own home.  But that’s why I refinish furniture, so I have an excuse to PLAY with pieces I would never keep for myself!

Red Hen Home Ombre Dressers Before 2

My idea for what to do with these dressers evolved over time.  Originally I was going to do an ombre paint treatment in shades of gray, but after I sanded off the old finish, I decided to try stain.

Then my first try of staining was a bust.  Although I used three different colors of stain, they all came out looking the same!

Some flaws in the finish led to me trying again, and the next time I chose three REALY different colors of stain!

Red Hen Home Ombre Dressers 3

The bottom is Ebony, the middle is English Chestnut, and the top is Natural (all Minwax brand).

Red Hen Home Ombre Dressers 2

I love how the pattern of the wood grain is consistent down the front of the drawers.  It makes it easy to know which drawers go together!

Red Hen Home Ombre Dressers 1

They make a nice pair, don’t you think?  I sold them to a lady who was going to use them in an attic bedroom space where the walls are short…a perfect fit!

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life
A Little Knick Knack

4 comments:

Hetty said...

I love those dressers Korrie, you did a great job!

Full Circle Creations said...

Love how they turned out! Nicely done. Have a good weekend!

Unknown said...

adore. would love these in my home

Cassie Bustamante said...

i absolutely LOVE these! so chic!