Friday, April 13, 2012

More Office Planning

I seem to have a new hobby…and that’s playing with Better Homes & Gardens’ “Arrange-a-Room” program!

It’s a pretty fun little program.  You can select a basic room shape from a few standard options, and then click and drag “corners” to match the shape of your room.

image

Next you can add furniture to your room, choosing from a wide variety of standard pieces for living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, offices, etc.image

You can also alter the dimensions of the furniture you choose, and then you can even change colors (to some extent).

I am still working on the front-room-to-office project (more about that here and here).  Here are a few of the furniture arrangements I have been playing with:

image

The room isn’t exactly square, but that’s pretty much the shape of the workable space I have (and it’s really closer to 11’4” x 10’, but arranging those walls with a touch pad is a little tricky).  Imagine that the walkway is on the left side (not pictured), with the stair wall to the left of that.  The front door would be adjacent to the bottom left corner of this diagram.

In this arrangement, the desk (big white thing) has to butt up against the corner.  The big brown thing is an old card catalog that I have, and the little brown chair is one of my vintage folding chairs.  The smaller white thing is a low chest I have stashed in my garage.  It would actually sit under the window (I can’t get the window feature to work on the room planner), and could be painted and/or dressed up with some cushions or pillows.  I have a neat old wood-frame chair (in the garage, of course) that needs to be refinished and recovered that could go next to that (see, I’m trying to work with what I have).

image

In this next arrangement, the desk goes against the outside wall of the house.  I think I like the fact that you wouldn’t walk in the front door and be staring at a computer monitor!  I also think I could get away with displaying both of my folding wooden chairs this way.  The two accent chairs could be a problem—since I don’t have two easy chairs—but I kind of like this look as well.  But what do you think?  Too many chairs?

image

So combining elements from the previous two arrangements, you get the look above.  My guess is that that is what I’ll start with, but with no promises that it will stay that way!

What do you think?  Does it look like it will work?

So…exactly where am I on this project? 

Well, the good news is that I own all the furniture except for the desk and the rug. 

The bad news is that the chair, the bench/chest, and the card catalog all need some refinish work! 

I am NOT going to tackle building the 9-foot desk (which will look something like this)…

office drawing

… but I have found a local shop that will do it for me at a good price.  Tomorrow (I hope) I am going to go there to finalize the plans and pay a deposit (I love my tax refund)!

I am going to have to figure out how to get a DSL hook-up in that room (it’s the only room in the house without a phone jack!), and I need to see if I’m going to have to move an electrical outlet.  If I do—and I end up calling an electrician for that job—I may see about getting the room wired for an overhead light!  I *love* the idea of a chandelier in there…but my dear husband says,

“Just another light fixture for me to bump my head on.”

Men…they have no vision.

How about YOU?  Can YOU share my vision??

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the last one, looks good and what happend to your table did they take it back? ang

Special 'K' said...

Yep, I reckon your choice of lighting is perfect. Looks like you have thought of everything in your sketch. Can't wait to see the final images. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Rachel said...

Okay. That is just plain cool! I didn't know BH&G had that program. Me thinks I could see myself doing some playing on there.

I say more lighting all the better but I am coming from a house which has horrible lighting which is partly my fault because the cool light fixtures I chose look fabulous and produce little light. I went for looks..... only to find out looks after while can be quite dull. ;)

SImple and Serene Living said...

What a fun program. It sure would save a lot of dragging around of furniture by grouchy people.

I can't wait to see it when it is all done. I know it will be spectacular. I am all for the chandelier. Just tell hubby to duck.
:)
Laura

Callie said...

What a cool program, I'll have to check it out! We just added a chandelier in our library, that I DIY'ed. My husband said the same thing (something about being tall must make him sensitive to hitting his head with things??) so we just made sure to hang it above his head height. :) here's the post: http://house-capades.blogspot.com/2012/04/chandelyrical.html