Serendipity was with me one day when I visited a local thrift shop, and I came across a set of three shutters.
They had obviously been painted before, as I could see a little bit of yellow underneath a dirty green color. As I was on the hunt for something to fill a little wall space in my living room, I decided to take them home with me.
Luckily I always have a little paint on hand ;-)
I used some sample pots of some other greens to give them a little more color. (Yes I know it’s hard to tell the difference, but it’s there.)
Then I slapped on some orange acrylic paint…
I used vaseline on some of the colored areas, also concentrating on the edges. It makes the funny little patches you see in the next coat of black (and for the black I used spray paint—I am an equal-opportunity painter).
With your bare hands, you can simply rub the paint off wherever the vaseline was to show the colors underneath.
Next I used more vaseline, then a coating of creamy white paint—plus a few splashes of some more green and even a little gray. I think all together I used about 7 different colors of paint on these shutters!
And this, my lovelies, is the finished product. I love how it turned out! I adore the chippy-ness of the finish and the layers of color.
These hang above my couch…in my living room that has been completed for months…that I have never show you…
…I’m going to try to resolve that this week!