Saturday, October 20, 2012

My Living Room

I am giving up! 

Despite my best intentions, I don’t think there is ever going to be a time when I manage to show my living room projects piece-by-piece with a grand reveal at the end.  I am just not that blogger.

So here it is, folks.  My living room, dressed up for fall.

living room 005

If you don’t like orange, it may not be your cup of tea…but I love it.

This is what my living room looked like just before Christmas last year.  We previously owned a sectional, but I sold it so the French Chocolate coffee table would fit in the room!  Pretty much the only seating we had at this point was the couch and my husband’s recliner, though, and there are eight of us!  And…it was too dark for me.  That’s what led to the grand living room re-design of 2012!

P1030135

…and yes, it actually happened in about…May.  I’m a little behind in posting  Winking smile

living room 007

I lightened up the wall color with SW Nantucket Dune.  I tried out…no kidding…12 different paint colors before settling on this one.  My walls were very colorful for a while.

living room 009

I was fortunate to sell our leather couch for exactly what I had paid for it a year ago.  The proceeds from that, our Costco rebate card, and  a little tax refund money allowed me to order the new couch, loveseat, ottoman and chair from Rowe furniture.  I am very happy with them…they are pretty AND comfortable!

living room 008

I found a telescope at our local thrift store, and turned it into a lamp for the corner of the room.  I love it!  Just wish I could figure out how to hide the cord…

living room 006

My map chest gets to stay in the room.  It’s still one of my favorite pieces.

living room 017

I love the look of some colorful pumpkins and gourds on the mirrored tray.

living room 010

I found this great ceiling tile when we were in Montana for Christmas.  I tacked it to a frame of 1x2’s so I could hang it on the wall.  I also “embellished” the coloring a little to give it some highlights and interest.

living room 013

My little hand-knit pumpkins make an appearance every year.  They were one of my first learn-to-knit projects a few years ago.  And don’t worry—the French chocolate coffee table just moved downstairs to the family room!

living room 012

I made several of the pillows in the room…the medallion one on the left, the green one on the chair, and the Hungarian grain sack ones in the basket, plus a couple of others you can’t see right here.  I am becoming a pillow nut!  I wish I could change them out monthly!

living room 015

You saw my shutters last time.  The room started out with the flea market and farmers market canvases hanging on either side of the shutters, but for fall I switched them out for the sunrise “We can do no great things” canvas and this one…

living room 016

…which I painted just for fall!  Yeah, it’s not great art, but I like it.

living room 011

Thanks for visiting with me!

***********************************************
Linking up here:
Domestically Speaking Elizabeth & Co.
No Minimalist Here Thrifty Decor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday  
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Stone Gable
Beyond the Picket Fence Someday Crafts
Knick of Time
Mod Vintage Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours All Star Block Party
A Little Knick Knack
Cowgirl Up!
{aka} design
Coastal Charm

31 comments:

Dianie said...

I LOVE your livingroom re*design!
Especially the splashes of orange.


I had to chuckle when you mentioned the 12 colors of paint. I am planning to paint my dining room and living room in the Spring, and I have color swatches taped up all over my walls.. how do you decide?

Thanks for sharing your beautiful
living room :)

take care,
~Diane

Ann said...

I am totally with you on the giving up on the big reveal. I just get one project done and then I find something else to change. It is always in progress, never finished.
I love the orange touches.


Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Korrie! Love your furniture. I had about seven paint swatches on the wall in our dining room {old house} when I was contemplating colors. It turned out to be a good thing because the one I liked on the paint card looked horrible on the wall.

Amy Kinser said...

Very pretty! Love your sofa and loveseat. Love your shutters. And, what a great lamp you made. All very pretty and fallish!

Pollyanna said...

I love the room, looks so happy and I love that you found so much more seating. BTW I don't love orange, but I DO love the room with the pops of orange, oh and I have found that everyone I know who does love orange is fun loving and energetic ... never met an orange lover I didn't adore!!

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

I always drool when I visit your blog! Absolutely love your livingroom and the orange. Like your lamp also and you mentioned hiding the cord. Can you use double sided tape to tape the cord down one leg and use extension cord along floor to plug it into wall? Just a suggestion because I am no where near you when it comes to decorating.

Bliss said...

It looks good and I am happy knowing the chocolate table has only moved to the family room. I am making note to just start with SW Nantucket Dune and save myself the same agony I would surly have picking paint.

Bliss

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love it all, Korrie. Must be great having more spots for everyone to sit. So glad you shared it with us.

Hugs,
Laura

Ali Richardson said...

Beautiful Korrie! I love the new look :)

Melody said...

Love the orange. What about a burlap cord cover for the lamp. I am thinking of trying one myself. Love the new arrangement too.

srpprcrftr said...

What is not to love in your living room? How in the world do you keep it so nice with 6 kiddos?
You are very talented and must have gobs of energy flowing over. I love your living room for the serenity it offers. So calm and welcoming. The touches of orange are absolutely genius. Just enough.
I'd love to have your nice couch and love seat. Don't have room for love seat in our tiny l/r but would love it anyway. We have a big bedroom but the l/r is small in comparison. Now if I could just get rid of hubs ugly chair. Kinda like the one in the program Frasier.
We have a hand me down free couch that is good stuff but not my style at all, especially for our little l/r. Ah well maybe someday. Happy Life to you.

Cassie Bustamante said...

looks warm and cozy! i love the fall artwork!

Gypsy Heart said...

Great job, Korrie! I love that orange throw and all the pillows. The paint color looks very nice. Great touches everywhere!

xo
Pat
P.S. I was a bit scared for a moment until you stated the other table was downstairs. :)

Unknown said...

Your living room is lovely, Korrie. Perfectly cozy for Fall with the lovely throws and artwork too.

Michelle said...

I love your living room and all the things in it, and on the walls. How about to hide the cord, you get some black cable ties and 'zip' the cord to the back of one of the legs all the way down to the floor, and run an extension cord along the floor.

This is what I mean by cable ties:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Raxxess-Cable-ties/11554030


Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a beautiful room Korrie! I love the orange and the fresh green too. Your room is a nice combination of vintage and modern. And your art is awesome!

Unknown said...

I like it - very autumny! And that couch does look comfortable. Here is a way to cover cords that will make them less noticeable: http://untieribbons.blogspot.com/2012/05/presto-chango.html

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Korrie,
It all looks outstanding...luv the shutters and your new Rowe furniture was a good choice.

Blessings,
Linda

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Your home is gorgeous, and more importantly so warm and inviting. I'm ready to curl up on the sofa for a good read. Don't mind me, I'll just let myself in.

Tammy's in Love said...

Love it! Sort of happy to see it before it is 'magazine perfect' because you get ideas from other folks and keep tweaking!

Maybe you could try a little piece of twine every so far to anchor the cord to the leg of the tripod. Or try 'Tacky wax', you can find it with the Dept. 56 Village supplies at any gift shop that sells the little lighted houses. It holds a lot of things in place. You might need to use the wax and a wire twisty (bread bag) to hold it till the cord is trained to stay put.

Barbara said...

Hopped over here from Simply Klassic Home and I love your living room! Un-boring neutrals with splashes of great color. Looks cozy and warm!

Roisin said...

Your living room makeover turned out very well. It seems cozier and more inviting, and I lkike the furniture placement better. the ceiling tile is very attractive there and I love the bright splotches of orange to brighten it up.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Love your living room! It's very warm and inviting. And, I happen to like the pops of orange. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share it at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/10/make-it-pretty-monday-week-20.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Our Pinteresting Family said...

Your room is stunning! I love the map chest, and all the color that you brought into the space. I am also in love with the suitcase wall I saw peeking behind your chair in one of your photos. New follower here from the Primitive and Proper link party. Megan

Athena at Minervas Garden said...

Gorgeous new living room look! I love the Fall Fling sign, and the telescope legs for the base for a lamp--so clever!

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

Love those boxes on the wall in the hallway. What a unique idea.

Crystelle Boutique said...

It's beautiful and so inviting! Love the throws everywhere.....
Snuggle time!

hugs ~ Crystelle
http://www.crystelleboutique.com

Emily @ The Diligent One said...

Oh, I love it! It looks like a place I could curl up with a cup of coffee and a book. :)

lvroftiques said...

Your living room looks great! I love those salvage ceiling tiles! And the shutters and...and...Well you get the picture *winks* I have a surveyors lamp very like your telescope piece and I used black tie wraps to attach the cord to one leg. Not a perfect solution, but it's about as good as it gets. The darker tie wraps blend pretty well unless you're really looking for them *winks* Vanna

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Your living room is gorgeous now!

Jeanine said...

Beautiful room! I love the way you mix vintage & modern.