Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas & Our Dining Room!

It is just after noon on a lovely Christmas day!  The family just finished watching our new copy of Guardians of the Galaxy…which I will frankly admit didn’t impress me that much when I saw it in the theater…so I decided to take a few pictures and blog! 
That *is* rest and relaxation for me!  I have been too bush (or distracted) to do much of it lately.  The holiday house tours have come and gone, but I thought I’d share a few pictures of my (mostly) COMPLETED dining room before the Christmas decorations come down.
2014-12-25 13.02.58
Yes, you read that right…mostly completed!  That means I finally built a dining table that I intend to keep!  Maybe I’ll do a full “reveal” at another time, but I wouldn’t hold my breath…
2014-12-25 13.04.42
2014-12-25 13.05.46
2014-12-25 13.05.28
I bought this set of eight chairs almost a year ago from Ruffles & Rust in Snohomish, WA.  They showed pictures of them on their Facebook page, and I think I was in at opening the next day.  I built the table to go with them, and I think I used something like seven different coats of five different stains to get the color right!
2014-12-25 13.03.27
Here’s my Christmas centerpiece…and old shutter, an IKEA sheepskin, some wooden beads, and a pretty candle arrangement I got from my mother several years ago.  I texted a picture of it to my sister and asked, “Is this too weird or just weird enough?”  She responded, “Just weird enough!  It suits you!”
Still not sure how to take that….
2014-12-25 13.05.05
In the background you can get a glimpse of my antique pie safe.  This is the wall where my suitcases used to be…
2014-12-25 13.06.58
…but I moved them to the largest wall (painted in chalkboard paint!) and added a couple new additions (the gray suitcase on the bottom left and the little train case on the bottom right).
2014-12-25 13.06.20
I have a small collection of reindeer that gets displayed on my suitcases every year.  I love how they look on the chalkboard wall.
2014-12-25 13.07.422014-12-25 13.07.50
This is another new addition…this beautiful old pine hutch.  I’ve wanted one for years, and I scooped this one up for $75 from Craigslist. 
2014-12-25 13.08.10
My girls helped me glitter some paper mache stars to hang on this old ladder.  I’ve had the ladder for over two years, and it just barely got to come in the house!
2014-12-25 13.08.22
I made the curtains out of my beloved ikat…I have ikat curtains in our vintage geek family room too!
2014-12-25 13.08.36
It has made me happy to have a pretty dining room for the holidays this year, and it will make me happier still when we fill this table (as well as our kitchen table) up with friends and family in a few hours!
From the Red Hen’s Home to yours…we hope you are enjoying a wonderful Christmas holiday!
2014 family 3
 


Linking up here:
My Repurposed Life Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Miss Mustard Seed
Mod Vintage Life Coastal Charm
The Scoop!

15 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Merry Christmas, Korrie! I love your dining room! You did a great job on the table and I'm glad to hear you are keeping this one. : ) Love your suitcase and chalkboard wall. The reindeer do look very good there.

Zimtkätzchen und Zuckerschnecke said...

A wonderful Home!!!
Merry Christmas to you all too :D
Dani

Mimi@blueroofcabin said...

Merry Christmas! You have a lovely room, and that table, is amazing! The table centerpiece comment reminded me of what my sister in law would say to me ;)

Unknown said...

love the table and chairs.

My Repurposed Life said...

well.... I have to admit I'm a little skeptical--about you keeping this table. heheheh
It's a beautiful addition to your dining room Korrie!

I like the new suitcase wall (with the chalkboard paint) so perfect for such a busy family.
wondering how you install them, and was it a chore to cover (fix) where they had been?

I love the shutter centerpiece!

wishing you and your family all the best in 2015!!!
gail

Pamela said...

Korea your dining room looks fab! I love your table and your chalk wall. I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas!

Bliss said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all rolled into one comment from me Korrie. And that wall!!!! Love it. And the table? Well with all your experience selling them I knew you'd make one that was just how you wanted eventually.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

A keeper table - yay! And it's a beauty too! Love the whole room and your luggage wall is just so awesome! Beautiful family photo! Happy New Year Korrie! ... Featured you at our party this week!

Anonymous said...

The table is wonderful and that suitcase wall...out of this world amazing!

My thrift store addiction said...

Hi there, I hopped over from Be Inspired when I saw your fabulous suitcase wall! I love Vintage luggage and use it as decor and storage. Blessings, Cecilia

Redo It Yourself Inspirations said...

LOVE the table so much! What a fantastic job to make it go with your beautiful chairs. I featured your table as a Friday Favorite. Hope you stop by and take a look. Can't wait to see your reveal post! :)
~ Robin
http://redoityourselfinspirations.blogspot.com/2015/01/friday-five-fabulous-furniture-features_18.html

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Korrie, that table might just be your prettiest of all, and you know I am a fan of your tables. I'm so glad you plan to keep it (for now!) The suitcase wall....how amazing is that??????? And a sister that gets you...well that's pretty amazing too. Hope you and your beautiful family have a wonderful 2015.

Grace said...

I've missed your blog. I hope that you will pick it up and start posting again.

Unknown said...

Great Blog, Home furniture design selection is a very important aspect of your home decor.

Unknown said...

Hi Korrie! Lorene from Remodelaholic here. I just emailed you, but my messages often get caught in spam filters, so I thought I'd leave you a comment as well. Email me when you can, please! hello@remodelaholic.com Thanks!