Tuesday, September 30, 2014

So God Made a Farmer

I was thinking about what to write this morning, and I had one of those “ah-ha” moments when I was reading the My Repurposed Life blog.  Gail gives a handy tip she has learned from all her sign making, and it was one of those things that had me wanting to do a face palm!!

Red Hen Home Farmer 1

You see, a few weeks ago I was asked to make a HUGE sign for Ruffles & Rust Square with Paul Harvey’s famous “So God Made a Farmer” monologue on it.   The finished size was something like 44” x 36”, if I remember correctly.  I framed it in with some stained 1x3’s, and accented the corners with some mending brackets. 

Red Hen Home Farmer 2

You can see that there are a lot of tiny little words!  Weeding out the vinyl took a very long time, and then transferring the stencil to the wood involved a lot of fiddling with “oodles and boodles,” as Gail calls them. 

Red Hen Home Farmer 3

So what was her tip, you are asking??  Well, she DOESN’T weed UNTIL she has transferred the vinyl.  That way she only has to fiddle with the “oodles & boodles” ONCE!

Ah, so brilliant…I love learning something new that will save time!

3 comments:

My Repurposed Life said...

Ohhh, I can hear Paul saying this.... I've heard it many times and it just makes me teary eyed!

That was a huge undertaking Korrie! Oh my!

it turned out gorgeous!!!

gail

Full Circle Creations said...

WOW! I'm so impressed. That was a ton of work. I don't stencil things because I don't have the patience to do that, plus it's easier for me to do it by hand...all though I don't think I would have tackled that one at all. Great Job. I love the way it turned out! :)

Bliss said...

Thank goodness for farmers for sure!