Monday, September 22, 2014

Black Beauty

2014-09-21 18.10.46

Much to my dear husband’s delight, our dining room has a table in it again…although not for long!

Red Hen Home Black Beauty before

I refinished this set for a client who had picked up this set for a song from a neighbor at a garage sale.  You can see that the finish on the top was pretty worn (it looked worse up close).  She had hopes of refurbishing it herself, but only got as far as replacing three of the seat covers (red instead of white) before losing interest!  I was happy to step in and help!

Red Hen Home Black Beauty 10

After removing the original finish, the top got several new coats of stain in a mix of Minwax Dark Walnut and Early American.

2014-09-21 18.11.52

The chairs and the apron were painted in a DIY black chalk paint, and I distressed with a wet sponge to let some of the original finish show through.  I sealed the top with Minwax Wipe-on Polyurethane followed by a coat of DIY dark wax, and the painted parts were sealed with General Finishes High Performance TopCoat (satin finish) and DIY dark wax.

2014-09-21 18.13.02

I recovered the chairs in this pretty dark fabric she brought me.  She has little ones, so DARK fabric was a must!

Red Hen Home Black Beauty 1

This set is HUGE!  The chairs are very generously sized and nicely padded, so it’s a very comfortable table to sit at.  There are two extra leaves for this table as well, so it’s perfect for large gatherings. 

I really love how it turned out…my dining room is moving up on my priority list of rooms to finish!

Linking up here:

My Repurposed Life Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Miss Mustard Seed
Friday Remodelaholic Coastal Charm
The Scoop!  
   
   
   
   

10 comments:

My Repurposed Life said...

Korrie,

I've missed your projects! I, at first thought.... finally! a table for the family. LOL

beautiful job on this set! I love the colors!
gail

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I'm always so afraid to paint with black, but that is perfect!

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks amazing- what a beautiful top, too!

PkL said...

What did you use to seal the tabletop. Am looking to redo my table like yours only using a white chalk paint on the legs and apron.

Full Circle Creations said...

I LOVE IT! What a gorgeous table and chairs! Great job.

Twice Nice said...

Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Heeeey, your back!
GREAT job on the table--it looks incredible!
Catherine

Unknown said...

I am sure your friend will love this set now. It looks beautiful, Korrie. The finish on the table looks awesome and I'm curious about your chalky paint recipe.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

So beautiful Korrie!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Happy to feature you at our party this morning! Thanks for sharing Korrie! ... Now you must find the perfect table for you!