Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Modified Kentwood Bookcase

A couple of days ago I showed the last table and bench I made for some newlyweds.  The husband also wanted a bookshelf for his office, and I got to build that, too!

We chose to use Ana White’s Kentwood Bookcase plans, although of course I always make some modifications!

bookcase 005

My version is both taller and wider—approximately 72” tall and 32” wide.

bookcase 004

That allowed me to have five shelves rather than four, and I made them adjustable!  For that I had to buy a new toy—the Kreg Shelf Pin Jig, and it worked great.

bookcase 002

I love the look of the planked back for this book shelf!

bookcase 007

The stain is a custom mix of Minwax Weathered Oak and Early American.  I think of it as a “champagne” color—it’s very soft and not at all orange-y.

It was fun to be building again!

*********************

Linking up here:

Domestically Speaking Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic Inspiration Exchange
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect Sawdust Throwdown
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours A Little Knick Knack
The Scoop!
No Minimalist Here

10 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love that it's not 'orangey' too.
I also like the height ...great job.
Pat

Homeroad said...

Lovely update!
Susan

Ali Richardson said...

Oooh, pretty! You seriously are SO good at furniture building! well done!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Really beautiful! And I love that you customize your pieces so they work perfectly for you!

Rachel said...

What amazes me is that you modify!!!! It's like those blasted people like my husband who look at a recipe and decide they want to change it and in doing so, make the meal that much better. If I were to modify plans or a recipe or pattern or what have you, my bookcase would look like something my table saw threw up and then tried to paste back together!

Beautifully made and done!! I actually want book shelves much like those in my home. I have some from IKEA that have been temporary (ha, nothing more permanent than temporary. I bought them because they had the drawer on the bottom and then five shelves above the drawer. Trying to maximize space using the drawers for toy boxes. They've been great but I'm ready for furniture that I like and what you've made, is what I like! :) You had to move why???? :D

Unknown said...

You are so handy! I love everything you make :D
Kim

SImple and Serene Living said...

Korrie, you continue to amaze me. xo Laura

Full Circle Creations said...

Great job Korrie! I love the look. And your custom stain is great! Hate that orange look. You've become quite the builder!

Pamela said...

Kori it turned out fabulous! I need something similar for my boys toy room. Thanx for coming to the party!

Unknown said...

Love love love this shelf. I can't believe you made it yourself...kudo's to you! I've been looking for something like this but with an open back.

Thanks for posting!

Crystal