Sunday, April 14, 2013

Aqua Farmhouse Bench

I’ve had this little project completed for a while, but it wasn’t my favorite, so I haven’t gotten around to posting it.

I built this bench based on plans that are in Ana White’s book The Handbuilt Home.  I made mine a little longer to go with a table that has yet-to-be blogged about as well!

Red Hen Home Farmhouse Bench

It’s just a simple little pine bench that is made special by some decorative cut-outs.   I hand-drew my curves out on a piece of paper, cut them out, and then traced them onto my wood.  I cut out the shapes with a jigsaw.

 Ana White Farmhouse Bench

Would you believe I still have the piece I cut out for the leg?  It was just too cute to throw away!

furniture building 014

I had in mind that I wanted this bench to be aqua, but on the day I needed to buy paint, the line was SO LONG at Lowe’s that I picked up one of their pre-made sample pots instead of the color I wanted.  I got “pale aqua” instead of “aqua.”

And it’s an OK color…just not the one I wanted!!

I distressed and glazed it, but I still thought the color was a little anemic for me.  I mean, if I want color, I want COLOR!

Red Hen Home  Farmhouse Bench

Yes, I know it’s just paint and I could re-paint it…but it’s hard to get up enough ambition to re-do a project you just did!

So you guessed it………… I sold it….

On to the next project!

**************************

Linking up here:
Domestically Speaking Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Mod Vintage Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect Sawdust Throwdown
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours All Star Block Party
A Little Knick Knack
The Scoop!
 

31 comments:

Art and Sand said...

I love your bench and the cutouts. I also like the color, but I understand why you sold it. I painted a red bench yellow and I don't like the shade of yellow. I am not up to repainting it any time soon.

Now I want to see the table you haven't blogged about.

Homeroad said...

Of course you sold it Korrie, it's so darn adorable!
Another great job!
Susan

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Great bench, Korrie! This is just the sort of thing I was looking for to finish off my small entry makeover. Love how you did the legs.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love this! love that it has a shelf under it! it's awesome!

ANNE said...

super cute!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That's a darling bench Korrie! You have really found your calling building furniture!

Twice Nice said...

Oh how I love these bucket benches! Cute, cute detail on the ends. Love it all, even the pale aqua!

Ali Richardson said...

Haha! You crack me up! Such a pretty bench. I'm more of a "stand in the long line" kind of gal but I totally get why you changed the color. It turned out beautiful and was probably somebody's dream bench :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I know where you are coming from...hate it when I am not lovin' a piece after it's done (happy to hear that it sold). I like the paint color:)

Blessings,
Linda

Cynthia said...

Fantastic bench and great color!

Cynthia

Bliss said...

I just think you should start making two or three of everything, then even if one gets left behind, you get it as your own.

Bliss

Donna Wilkes said...

I hope the new owner appreciates those details. I keep small bottles of craft paint around in case I need to lighten or darken a color. I love the bench - great job.

Anonymous said...

Great job Korrie, I luv the contours of the legs too!
Hope everything is going FABulously in your new home--
Catherine

SImple and Serene Living said...

I bet you can find something to do with that cute cutout :)

Full Circle Creations said...

A very cute bench! I just made several benches that I haven't blogged about either.

amanda said...

Nice work on the bench! I would have kept the cut out part of the leg, too. I can never part with wood scraps. :)

Unknown said...

Korrie you are sooo talented! I would love for you to add Pretty Things at twelveOeight to your party list! We are live now, hope to see you :)

xo, Tanya
http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/2013/04/pretty-things-16-link-party-and.html

Miss Charming said...

You're becoming quite a talented woodworker, Korrie! I'm really liking the furniture you're making. (And I think the icy aqua color on the bench looks great.)

Hetty said...

Lovely bench Korrie and I actually like the pale aqua!

My Repurposed Life said...

you are on a roll my dear.... make it, sell it, move on to the next!
Love the bench, and funny you kept the cut out part (I would have too)

gail

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Such an adorable bench. I would take it in any color of paint!

Rachel said...

You crack me up. You make oh so much sense to me. I'd have done the same thing. I painted it once...... I'm done!

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

I love old benches. You did a great job! You should link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs}
http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-4.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Krista Aasen said...

Very pretty! Would love a bench like this for my home somewhere. Thanks for sharing - I found you at twelve0eight.
Krista@thehappyhousie

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Very cute! :)

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Well the bench is, scratch that, was lovely. It's gorgeous and I'm sure it went to a good home.

Eclectically Vintage said...

Must be hard to part with your great creations! But then again, you can just keep whipping up new ones! Love the color.
Kelly

Cher-Ann Texter said...

Very nice! Found you through My Repurposed Life's Catch as Catch Can 118...

Cher @ Designs by Studio C
http://designsbystudioc.com

Anonymous said...

What a lovely bench! It's got gorgeous lines and the colour is beautiful!

Old Red Barn said...

Beautiful bench. I should buy Ana's book, it's probably full of great plans! I invite you to join my link party. Hope to see you soon @ the Crafty Country Cottage link party.

Goedele

Shelly @Crafty Creative Studio said...

Ha ha! Great solution for the wrong color. I just had to come and see... anything aqua always gets my attention!