Sunday, December 26, 2010

My other hobby

When the snow started to fly, I gave up on the furniture refinishing for a little while, and moved indoors. That gave me a chance to pick up my other hobby, which is....

knitting!!

I learned to knit about four or five years ago. I taught myself to crochet from an instructional book, but knitting was different. I just didn't get it until I could watch someone do it. I walked into a yarn store in Ogden Utah (The Needlepoint Joint, if you're in the area), and one of the nice employees sat down with me and taught me what to do with those pointy sticks! I have been a fan ever since.

So here are some of my wintertime projects!

My baby turned three years old a couple of weeks ago. I finished her sweater about 1 a.m. on the morning of! That is, if you don't count the buttons! (I don't.)



Pattern: Tuckernuck by Elinor Brown

Then there was a Dragon Scarf for one son:

Pattern: Enchanted Dragon by Mary Triplett

And a pair of fingerless gloves for another son (suitable for playing basketball!). Please notice the tough-guy poses!

No particular pattern

These last fingerless gloves are on their way to a new owner as of tomorrow. They weren't exactly a Christmas present, but I did finish them on Christmas Eve! My daughter gets to be the hand model.

Pattern: Fetching by Cheryl Niamath

If you also knit, I am RedHen6 on Ravelry!

The DIY Show Off

topsy turvy tuesdays

Tute yourself tuesday red and white


Photobucket

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special

Photobucket


http://redhenhome.blogspot.com/2010/12/pajama-pants.html

9 comments:

Me (aka Danielle) said...

I need to learn how to knit. I can crochet, but there is so much more you can do with those 'pointy sticks'.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I love needle work in the winter time. I don't knit- but do crochet. I'm hoping to learn to TAT in the new year.
Love the projects- last year I said I was going to make some fingerless gloves and didn't. This post reminded me of my short fall. Oh, well. Maybe I'll work on that when the REALLY COLD weather settles in down here in Texas-Mid January and February!

Unknown said...

I love the fingerless gloves. Great for touch screen phones since I am always walking around with the thumb on my right glove off.

Rachel said...

Great job Korrie! I need to take lessons from you on how to knit something and have it actually fit when it's done! :D

maleahbliss said...

K. Randomness, I followed you over from I'm Topsy Turvey's linky and I actually *am* in the area. I LOVE the needle point joint!!! So much beautiful yarn!! Crazy that we are 'neighbors'. lol.

Anyway! Beautiful sweater. I'm an avid crocheter and do know *how* to knit, but, I unfortunetly don't have the patience for it. It just takes SO. MUCH. LONGER. to finish a project. I seriously admire knitters! :)

I'd love for you to come link this up to my new linky party!

http://littleeme.blogspot.com/2010/12/ok-now-that-i-have-tuted-your-turn-to.html

maleahbliss said...

Thanks so much for linking up yesterday!! I hope I'll 'see' you again next week! :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow! cool stuff. I knitted part of a sweater one time. ;)
thanks for linking up!
gail

Ashlee Marie said...

Love it! I taught myself to crochet and kint from books! My goal is to knit my own sweater! Thanks for linking up to Topsy Turvy Tuesday's!

Beth said...

Lovely projects! Love your models! I LOVE to knit, so I'm going to friend you on Ravelry :-) Also, I'm going to invite you to my knitting party on my blog. It's called Fibers on Friday, a party dedicated to showing our fiber projects. Right now, we're in the middle of a sock challenge....you can join that, too, if you'd like!

http://plumslife.blogspot.com/