Monday, March 17, 2014

Charcoal Farmhouse Table & Aqua Benches

If you follow me on Facebook, you may have gotten a sneak peek at some of the furniture adventures I was up to last week!  Bought some, sold some, and did a lot of hauling in between.  Hopefully the ones I kept will be showing up here on the blog one of these days soon.

In the meantime, I have finished up another farmhouse table for my friend Kim.

Kim's Farmhouse Table 007

This one is similar to Stacy’s table, although not as wide—but I did cut off the rounded edges of the stock lumber (with my table saw) for a smoother top.

Kim's Farmhouse Table 001

Kim wanted a dark grayish-black color for her table, and I think we ended up with a pretty good charcoal.  This was achieved by first staining it all with Rustoleum Black, then a layer of Weathered Gray (well rubbed in), followed by another very light coat of black with an almost dry rag.

Kim's Farmhouse Table 004

I built two benches for her as well (the plans are out of Ana White’s Handbuilt Home book).

Kim's Farmhouse Table 009

I made a DIY chalk paint with the leftover paint from my daughter’s bedroom makeover.  After distressing, I wiped Rustoleum weathered gray stain over all.  It helped color the exposed raw wood, and dulled the color of the aqua a little bit.

Kim's Farmhouse Table 002

I really like how using some of the same stain over the painted benches makes everything “go” together!

Kim's Farmhouse Table 003

It was fun to step away from the brown stains for a little bit!

Kim's Farmhouse Table 012

 

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper  
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
  Mod Vintage Life

14 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

Wow! How awesome!

Cassie Bustamante said...

two of my favorite colors! what a great combination!

My Repurposed Life said...

I too, love the color combination. I bow to you Korrie! You are the farm table queen. Never again will I ever make one. I do not like the way mine turned out, and it was so much work. n.e.v.e.r.

love all of yours, even more now that I actually made one. lol

gail

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Wow, I love the benches....and I totally agree with you, the stain on them makes them relate beautifully!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie you've been busy!! Another beautiful build(s), well done.

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie you've been busy!! Another beautiful build(s), well done.

Kirby Carespodi said...

I'm visiting from Gail's -- what a great dining set! Beautiful!

Cynthia said...

OMG this is so gorgeous, I love what you did with the benches. The bit of stain adds so much to them. You are one talented lady!!! I would love one of these.

Cynthia

knuckstermom said...

No gut no glory they say! It surely took some guts to put that first coat of black on there!!!

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL I LOVE THIS!!! I think I'm going to try and replicate...off to Home Depot ...*fingers crossed *

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I agree, the stain really ties the two colors together! And I really like the departure from a more traditional stain - a beautiful finish!!

A Bit of Colour said...

Oh, I love the colour of the benches! That go together really well with the table!

Zenamamma said...

love the pop of color on the benches...muted with the stain. Looks fantastic! What is your recipe for DIY chalk paint?

Ana White said...

I just stumbled on this post. What an amazing mix of color and style! "Brag Post of the Day" on our Facebook page! Thanks for sharing.