Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Vintage Geek Gallery Wall

Time keeps on slipping away between blog posts…I finish projects and then don’t have sufficient sunshine…or motivation…to take pictures!  But we are having a break in the rain this afternoon, so I thought I’d snap a few photos.

I’m happy to say that the family room project is at least 90% complete now.  After long, long weeks of waiting, the new sectional arrived (more on that later), as did the material for the curtains.  While I was waiting for them, I spent some time trying to decide what to hang on the walls…it was not a task for the faint of heart!

I really, really wanted a gallery wall…

…and this is what I came up with.

gallery wall 024

And although I say “I,” what I really mean is that it was a joint project between me and my best friend in Oregon.   We really burned it up over text messaging!

The first thing you might notice is that I chose the white Green Dragon Inn sign.  It was the first one I made, but originally I thought it blended in to the wall too much, so I made the wood one (shown here).  I will admit that I actually liked it better, but with some of the other things I chose to put on the wall, the white sign ended up working better.

gallery wall 023

For example, I hung an old printer’s tray on the wall on the left of the television.

gallery wall 016

It made a fun spot to show off a few of my husband’s Lego minifigs!  (You can see where the rest of the Legos reside in this room here).  If I had used the wood Green Dragon sign, I think it would have been a little too much in close quarters.

gallery wall 018

As I mentioned before, my goal in decorating this room was to blend some of my husband’s geeky style with some of my vintage style.  It was a challenge!  I purchased some artwork on Etsy, though, that was a perfect fit.

gallery wall 020

These amazing Lord of the Rings vintage-style “travel posters” won my heart!  (The artist has some other great posters for Game of Thrones and Star Wars as well.)

gallery wall 021

I surprised my husband with them, and he loved them as much as I did.  They are framed in IKEA Virserum frames.

gallery wall 022

I made a “Shield of Gondor” to complete this portion of the wall.  It was fun to have my husband get excited about something I was making! 

gallery wall 019

The other side was simpler…I knew I wanted to include my much-loved metal clock to bring in another industrial element in the room.  It took up a lot of real estate!  The “B” is one of those cardboard letters from JoAnn’s.  I mod-podged aluminum foil onto it ages ago (like this project), but never had the perfect place to put it…until now!

gallery wall 014

This is the wall you see as you enter the room, and it makes me smile now.  I love my printer’s console, and I love my quirky gallery wall.  It’s just so nice to have this room turning into something other than a dumping ground!

gallery wall 024

And here’s a little fun for you.  When I ordered my LOTR Travel Posters, a little mix-up led to me receiving TWO Rohan posters. (8x10 size)  I don’t really need both, so I would love for the extra one to go to someone else who will love it.  If you’re interested, either for yourself or someone you love, just leave a comment on this post telling me who you would like to have the poster for, and I will choose a winner at random on Sunday (or thereabouts).

That’s it!  Thanks for stopping by!

**********************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect  
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life

17 comments:

The Tally Tales said...

Love it! You did a beautiful job! :)

Unknown said...

It looks great. I like the Green Dragon Inn sign because it's different.The color of the console is very clean and sharp. I can relate to the sun not shining and loss of motivation. We've had so much snow here in MA that it's like a full time job just cleaning it up.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

You have showcased your console beautifully Korrie! I think you proved that geeky and vintage can live happily ever after!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE the way the wall turned out, and if I don't win the Rohan poster, I might just have to buy one for my husband! He's a huge LotR fan, as am I, and it's right up his alley. :-) thanks for sharing!

Zimtkätzchen und Zuckerschnecke said...

I LOVE it!! It´s amazing. The Posters are great!
greetings
DAni

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie I'm still ogling over that printers console, really a beautiful build.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That whole area looks great, Korrie! I love your gallery wall. I think that's what I like most about them ~ that you can incorporate the whole family into one and somehow it works.

Cassie Bustamante said...

awesome, korrie! love the personality in it!

Dragonfly4 said...

Totally awesome!
And my daughter would love that Rohan poster!
Chic geek!
Karen U

Becky said...

Very, very nice! Let's see, I have 3 sons and 2 daughters who would all love a Rohan poster. One of my daughter's considers herself a shield maiden, the other is more elf. You've given me some good ideas.
Becky

Unknown said...

If that's geeky then I want to be a geek! Looks great.

A Bluebonnet in Tn said...

I would like to know where you found the clock face it is fantastic. I'd love to have one.

Sandi

My Repurposed Life said...

Your wall looks great, I'm glad you used the white Green Dragon sign. ;) It was my favorite.

great job pulling it all together!

gail

Anonymous said...

I love the longer vertical layout. I have several walls like that & feel like I have to put so much on them to fill them up. You've given me some great ideas!
BTW, my son & daughter both would love the poster...iF they could get it away from their dad!

Unknown said...

Great!!! I love the dragon sign! :D

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks really great, Korrie!

xo
Pat

Emily B said...

I think your brother and sister-in-law need that Rohan poster ;)