Sunday, January 1, 2012

Two-Tone Table

I actually wanted to call this the “Two-Friends-Two-Tone-Table,” but that was kind of a mouthful!

chocolatetable2 003

Once upon a time, one of my dear friends got it into her head that she wanted me to refinish a dining set for her.  The fact that she lives 750 miles away from me was no deterrent to her…nor was the fact that she has never physically seen any of the pieces I have refinished.  She was determined!

So the search began—long distance and on-line—to find a suitable table.  We were on a tight budget, since her husband is one of the nation’s many unemployed.

Enter Friend 2.  Upon hearing of our search, she offered to let me have a vintage dining set that had belonged to her husband’s mother.  Yes, let me have.  As in—for free.  She knew it was for another friend of mine, and that they had no money.  So out of the goodness of her heart, she donated to our “cause.”

Friend 1 and Friend 2 don’t know each other, and probably will never meet.  But bless them both, for having faith in ME to put this little transaction together!

The table was completely disassembled when I first saw it, but I fell for the chunky legs…hard.

Stacy 002-1

The table top has pull-out leaves on each end and a beautiful apron (it’s the piece on the right, leaning up against the dresser that later became yellow).

Stacy 001

Plus a pretty stretcher (it’s not quite so blurry in real life).

Stacy 005

And six chairs, one of which is an arm chair.

Stacy 004-1

Friend 1 only ever saw the pictures, but she trusted me to bring this dining set into the current century!  I’m sure she had a few misgivings along the way, though!

There were a lot of loose joints and such, so I had to do some gluing (this Bessey clamp was a marvel to work with—I borrowed it from a friend, and almost didn’t give it back):

stairs 038

…as well as some creative repair work on the arm chair.  The dowel had broken off, so I used a 3/8” paddle bit to drill out the old dowel, and then I cut a new one to replace it and re-glued the arm back on the chair.

Stacy-1

I enlisted some of my short help to sand chairs…

stairs 044

He looks thrilled, doesn’t he??

I sanded the table top completely down—you can see how dark the original finish was on the leaves! 

stairs 037

The rest of the table top was not in nearly that good of condition!

stairs 035

The grooves on the top of the table reminded me of a checkerboard, and inspired me to try a two-color staining job.  The only problem was that the grooves did not extend down the sides of the table top—but that was nothing a little work with a handsaw and some black paint couldn’t fix!

Stacy

I painted the base of the table (and the chairs) black, and distressed them to highlight the turnings and carvings. 

chocolatetable2 015

chocolatetable2 004

The dark stain on the table is Minwax Antique Walnut, and the lighter stain is Pecan.

chocolatetable2 003

Here you can see it with both leaves extended.

chocolatetable2 007

chocolatetable2 009

I love how the checkerboard effect shows up even on the sides with the leaves closed.

chocolatetable2 013

I wasn’t brave enough to pick out fabric for the chairs for someone else, so with the help of another friend, we took lots of pictures of bolts of fabric and sent them (via iPhone) before she chose this pretty black floral/paisley print.

chocolatetable2 005

The fabric on the seats wasn’t really dirty or in bad condition, so I didn’t remove it—I just added a new layer of batting and stapled the new fabric over all…plus a bit of my sleeve…  (whoops!)

house 003

And there you have it:  the Two Tone Table!  I really love the look of it.  It wouldn’t have been bad at all in my now-empty front room

chocolatetable2 016

…but alas…my friend came and took it away (yes, from 750 miles away). 

I hope it’s happy in its new home!

******************************************

Thanks to It’s So Very Cheri, Stylish Once Again, My Repurposed Life, and Simple Home Life for featuring this project!

*******************************************************

Linking up here:

Coastal Charm’s Nifty Thrifty Tuesday Topsy Turvy Tuesdays
Domestically Speaking’s Power of Paint Someday Crafts’ Whatever Goes Wednesday
Hookin’ Up with House of Hepworths No Minimalist Here’s Open House Thursday
Friday Remodelaholic 2805
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Primitive & Proper I Heart Naptime
Beyond the Picket Fence’s Under $100 Party My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect {Primp}
Mod Vintage Life My Repurposed Life
Stylish Once Again It’s So Very Cheri
Common Ground Thrifty Décor Chick

47 comments:

Katie @ Wildwood Creek said...

Love the two-toned effect and the detailing on the legs and chairs is beautiful!

Homeroad said...

Wow Korrie! The table came out fantastic! I need a new table myself... So kind of you to do that for someone else, it was a ton of work! You're great and it is a beautiful table that she will treasure forever!
Susan

LibbiesHome said...

That is gorgeous! Your friend was right to have faith in your abilities. :)
I would have had a hard time parting with that table...

Unknown said...

Love how you walked us through this process. Love the happy ending story. Love your one friend who just gave this to the other friend. Nice post to start a New Year! :) Smiles...

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh wow Korrie, it's simply stunning! What a great post to start off the year!

CJ said...

What an amazing transformation! I am sure your friend will be over the moon - Lucky lady having such a good friend. Bye the way what paint did you use? CJ

Anonymous said...

Another beautiful ending!! Love the 2 tone. On another note...I wish chunky legs were just as attractive on humans...lols!

Unknown said...

That is one beautifully made over set, and even more special because you did it for your friend. I am sure she will enjoy it. All the best in the New Year!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

wow i.love.it ! It's beautiful Korrie. I love that you extended the grooves over the side with the handsaw. genius. It really added to the overall beautimous of it. :)
How I would have had a hard time parting with it!
gail

Twice Nice said...

I love, love that checkerboard top! That was a beautiful story of friendship!

Rachel said...

Fantastic job Korrie. That really turned out nice.

I like stories like this. So many good people doing much good for others... there are so many truly good people in this world!

Gayle said...

What a breathtaking project and what a wonderful friend you are! It turned out beautifully!

From G2B said...

I love the table, but I loved the story more. It's such a blessing to be in the position to do good for others. Perfect post for a Sunday.
But I do love the staining techniques you used. Just gorgeous!!

pasqueflower said...

Lucky friend. Gorgeous table!! And I love the chair cushions, too.
Happy New Year!

SheilaG @ Plum Doodles said...

Great story and the dining room set turned out fantastic! I love the 2-toned look. What a blessing you are to your friend. :)

Anonymous said...

It looks fabulous! You have one lucky friend! Amazing job. I'd love it if you shared at my Saturday Splendour Party :)
www.megandmums.com

Gypsy Heart said...

Outstanding ~ as usual! You are incredibly talented. And I loved the "year in review" too. The tables are to die for!

Happy New Year my friend ~
xo
Pat

bj said...

MERCY, woman....is there ANYthing you can't do ? This is so beautiful, I don't know what to do. I love it and I know your friend is in heaven with this lovely set in her home. Wow...you did such an awesome job.

Kimberly T. said...

That is just beautiful!!

Ali Richardson said...

WOW! What a great story, and what an even greater table transformation. It's gorgeous!!! Great job :)

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

That is absolutely stunning.

Beth said...

It turned out fantastic! I love the way the sides look especially. It adds a bit of unique interest to it that you wouldn't normally think of. I have a coffee table that I'm thinking of doing something like that with, but can't decide to stain it or paint it 2-toned.

WhyCuzICan said...

Super nice job, Korrie! Looks right at home with the base and I'm sure she smiled when she saw it the first time, too!

Visiting from Coastal Charm: Nifty Thrifty Tues Linky party!

Thanks for sharing :D
Smiles, Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

Miss Charming said...

What a lucky friend. You did a beautiful job (as always) on this table. I love the checkerboard inspiration.

Cassie Bustamante said...

it looks awesome as usual- i really love the two toned top. it looks so warm and rich!

Dumpster Diva said...

BREATH TAKING! This is BEAUTIFUL! Friend #1 will LOVE IT, Friend #2 had no idea that such a wonderful gester of kindness would end up so AWESOME! Please join my linky party and share your wonderful talent!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Oh my what a lot of work, but for a good cause. You are a sweet person to do all of that work for your friend. It turned out beautifully too.

Unknown said...

WOW! I love this! No wonder she trusted you to make it fabulous!

SImple and Serene Living said...

Korrie, this is beautiful. Your friend must be thrilled. I've never been a big fan of those chunky legs, but love how they look with the black paint. :)

Debbiedoos said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric on those chairs too. Happy New year to you!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Oh, I'm sure your friend is just in love with this table and chairs. What an amazing transformation!

Honey at 2805 said...

Another truly fabulous transformation! You always do such a tremendous job and your projects never stop coming! Impressive!

Thank you for sharing at Potpourri Friday!

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

What a wonderful job! I really love it, and also love the fabric covered chairs...they pattern looks great! Thanks for sharing.....

Unknown said...

Wow this turned out pretty cool. I love the legs too! Nice work!

Kimberly said...

Strangely enough, I have this same table and chairs (also a buffet and china cabinet). Other than recovering the chairs I have done too little to make it look better. My table is missing the molding on the bottom and I pulled out the rusty nails that remained. I bought it 4th hand from a co-worker of my sister. It is on my list of rehab jobs and I was very impsired by yours.

Full Circle Creations said...

Nicely done! Love the black and the wood together.

Holly

Unknown said...

It's Fan-Tas-Tic! Beautiful finish and I love the Black! Happy 2012 XO Cindy

Lisa said...

Wow this is beautiful! I love the two-tone stain and the upholstered chairs are amazing!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

A lot of love went into that redo. Every piece looks fantastic.

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Okay, you are just a master! Love it! Happy New Year. Hope you're having a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

CailinMarie said...

WOW! the finished product is so gorgeous and I Love the fabric you chose!!

Unknown said...

love the two toned wood, the table looks gorgeous and i love the base painted black!

Nita Stacy said...

Love this table and chairs in the two tone colors. I am a sucker for this type of dining room set as I have one myself. Beautiful job.

Ann said...

Korrie, thanks for sharing at Restyled Sundays. I featured you at this weeks party. My son just got a table with the band around the outside. I can't wait to show them these pics as an idea for their table.

Krista-Artista said...

That is such an amazing transformation! I f I were you I would not have wanted to give it up! Once again your talents have amazed me.
Krista
krista-artista.com

Its So Very Cheri said...

Check out my features-you're in my TOP 10. Grab a "I've been featured" button.

http://itssoverycheri.com/2012/01/21/top-10-features-from-1-1-2012-party/

Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

Unknown said...

Great project! Would you mind sharing what black paint you used?