Sunday, October 30, 2011

Lucy’s Very Hungry Caterpillar, pt. 2

Before I get to the staircase reveal, I thought I ought to finish up the Very Hungry Caterpillar project!  If you missed part 1 (the creation of the fabric picture), you can find it here.

Lucy 3

Part 2 was the creation of the Very Hungry Caterpillar stuffed toy…which turned out to be SO big he’s more like a body pillow!  I will admit that the way he turned out was not the way I originally envisioned him, but it must have been the way he was meant to be.

There is no pattern for this, so I can only share with you what I did!  If you have more questions, feel free to e-mail me and I will try to help as best as I can.

I purchased the wonderful soft “minky” fabric for my caterpillar.  Not knowing what I was doing beforehand, I purchased amounts that “looked right.”  I think I bought about 1/3 yd of red and 1/2 yard of the green polka-dot.

When I got home, I realized that I had fabric to make a far bigger head than the body would support!  I had to dust off my long-neglected math skills to figure out how to make the best use of my fabric to make the biggest caterpillar possible.

There were ratios involved.

I had to figure the circumference of a circle.

I think I even worked in two equations and two unknowns.

It was a hairy business, folks!

Suffice it to say…I cut off a third of the green material (lengthwise), cut that piece in half (also lengthwise), stitched the halves together, and added that new piece (widthwise) to the remaining green material so I could have a nice, fat caterpillar (that piece because the “belly panel”).  Clear as mud?  I hope so.


I scientifically traced a circle for the caterpillar’s head (thank you, Tupperware), and then I also cut a long strip of red fabric (I think I had to piece this) to be his “neck.”

I curved one end of the caterpillar’s back for his tail (top right picture), and also tapered the belly panel (bottom left) before I stitched the pieces together.  Then I ran a gathering stitch width-wise all down the caterpillar’s body to create his “sections” (bottom right).  If I were to do it over again, I would stitch in a narrow piece of elastic, as the gather stitches un-gathered more than I would have liked.


The caterpillar’s feet, face, and antennae were created out of felt.  I actually liked having the “belly panel” as it was an ideal place to insert the feet (bottom left).  I left his “tail” open so I could stuff him…he didn’t always appreciate it (bottom right)!!


Finally I stitched his tail closed…it was a moderately painful process (for me, not him…I kept pricking my fingers!)…and then I invited my beautiful girl to “test him out.”

caterpillar 046

She didn’t seem to mind!


This project has been featured at I’m Topsy Turvy!


Linking up here.


Karie said...

Thank you for posting this tutorial Korrie! I love this idea, and I can't wait to make one for my son!
You're so creative!

K said...

He's fab, you know. And you look like a horse vet, stuffing him from the back. Great stuff.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

How cute and hugable!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That really turned out great, Korrie! My hats off to you for figuring that one out! : ) What a great size for the girls and he'll make a nice companion for watching TV or leaning against while reading a book.

debbie-- said...

Love it! and You sew too! You can do everything!

Gypsy Heart said...

Super job on him, Korrie! Your creativity continues to amaze me. I know that Miss Lucy is having a blast with him.


Karen said...

That is adorable, I know its great for snuggling.

Honey at 2805 said...

How adorable and hug-able! The caterpillar is too

And you are so smart!!

BigBearswife said...

awesome hungry Caterpillar

Kelli @ RTSM said...

You did such an awesome job! My youngest has a VH Caterpillar that came from Kohl's and it is one of his favorites:)