Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Beadboard Garland for Fall

I love the look of beadboard, and I’ve been using it for signs for months now (you can see some here), …but I also love the look of pennant banners, so I thought, “How about a beadboard pennant banner?”
Why not?
The first step is to draw out your pennants. There is no magic formula here, just do whatever looks good to you. My pennants are 7” long, and 5” wide at the top. I marked the top and bottom at 5” intervals, except I started the markings on the bottom after coming in 2.5” (because that’s half of 5). Then I just had to connect the dots!
fall 024
Once my lines were all drawn, I used a table saw to cut along the lines. Note: You could also use a jigsaw if you don’t have a table saw!
fall 025
Once you get the first piece off, you can use a fence to cut your parallelograms easily…
fall 026
fall 027
…but that’s not going to help when it’s time to cut the triangles off!
fall 029
I ended up with ten little triangles. Rather than drill each triangle separately, I stacked them and clamped them together. Then I could drill five at once! This is a great time saver.
fall 030
I base-coated all my triangles with Rustoleum Heirloom White spraypaint, but then I decided to get further color inspiration from candy corn! I used acrylic craft paint, and didn’t even worry about getting lines perfect or anything. Have you ever seen a perfect candy corn?? Another Note: OK, so now I know that candy corns are actually yellow-orange-white and not orange-yellow-white. Sorry! I don’t actually eat them! Bleah.
fall 031
I used black acrylic paint to stencil on letters…
fall 032
…and the next day I distressed and glazed all my little pennants.
bead board pennant banner
I tied the pieces together with twine, and anxiously hung my banner on my buffet so I could admire my handiwork!
fall 034
Whoops!
***blush***
Oh, that’s much better!
candy corn banner
I like the little-bit-faded look the pennants have.
candy corn banner
No tricks for me….just treats, please!
beadboard pennant
Want some other ideas for an Autumn banner? Well, how about a banner that just says “autumn”? The one below was actually the first one I made. For this one, I use vinyl as a “reverse stencil,” and sprayed the pennants with Rustoleum Summer Squash paint. You may notice that these triangles are all equilateral, so you can make any size/shape triangles you like!
fall 008
This particular banner now lives on my sister’s buffet!
I like this little “fall” banner with the different fonts for each letter.
guest 007
The possibilities are endless! What would you put on a banner?
***********************************************************






*************************************************************

46 comments:

Karie said...

I love the banners! I would do one for Christmas. They would look great going across my sliding glass door or on my Christmas tree. Love!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Very cool Korrie! Be careful on that table saw lady! I had some luan kick back on me several months ago, and even small (thin) wood can HURT bad.
just sayin'
gail

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The beadboard banners are all so cute. What a great idea. I love the candy corn colors. Hugs, Marty

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very cute Korrie! I love the candy corn, and you are right, the possibilities are endless! I have a bit of leftover beadboard in my garage. I just might have to try this one!

Brandi said...

such a neat idea, Korrie! i love the way your garland turned out. PS. congratulations on being a contestant!!

eleven-o-one said...

Very creative. Love them.

~Sara said...

Very creative idea! I love it. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy Fall ~Sara

Michelle said...

Absolutely love these banners! Where did you get your letter stencils? Did you make them yourself?
Thanks so much!!!
Michelle

bj said...

The candy corn colored one...I LOVE IT. :) Love 'em all...

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love these. I would probably cut my hand off though.
:)

Catie @ Catie's Corner said...

Korrie those are too cute! I love everyone you made. What a great idea. = )

~ Catie

MissPrissyville said...

How cool is that. I love them all, but the candycorn is awesome. First visit to you blog. Love it too!!

Alaina said...

You are so creative. I just love this banner idea.

Deborah March said...

Oh my GOODNESS...what a LOT of work!! They're gorgeous Korrie!

Melissa said...

These are so dang cute! Wonderful job!

Kaye said...

Brilliant; I love it!

TFS!

Unknown said...

Oh that is so cute! I feel so behind. I finally had a light bulb go off today about what I should do for CWTS. Good LUCK.

Shannon said...

Thanks for the tutorial...love pennant banners! Great use of headboard!

Perfect Imperfections by Jeanne said...

Hi Korrie! You have just been awarded with the Versatile Blogger Award! Your blog is an inspiration. To find out more about this award check out this post: http://perfectimperfectionsbyjeanne.blogspot.com/2011/09/versatile-blogger-award.html

Andrea said...

what a great garland! I love anything candy corn related for Halloween decor!

Bonnie Long (Bonnie Inc) said...

This is so cute! I love it! And your spelling mistake made me smile. hehe

RhettDidntGiveADamn said...

What a gorgeous project. Thanks for sharing! xo

Darby Hawley said...

This is one of the most clever and creative crafts I've ever seen! you did a fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

I love your banners! What a great idea! You always have an amazing transformation! So clever!

Shannon Fox said...

Perfect craft for me. I happen to have a bit of extra beaded board on hand. I measured wrong and over bought (uh oh). This is super~duper cute, Great tutorial. Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Love love love this!!!

Honey at 2805 said...

Your are so craft and inventive! These are so cute!

Thanks for linking to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate you!

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie love this, great use of beadboard scraps which I have a TON of in my garage. Honestly I will be making these - thank you for the idea.

a quiet life said...

What a great idea~

Lisa said...

I have never seen a pennant that I liked until now! :) I don't know what it is about them being bead board, but I LOVE them!!! The candy corn pennat was just Brilliant!!! Thanks for changing my mind, a bit! :)

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Well, since you asked...I would put HOME. I love the idea of the bead board...brillant!

Maria said...

These banners are so pretty! I want to try making one of these for fall!

Tra La La Boom De Ay said...

yep....I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love the autumn one...so cute. I'm so afraid of table (pretty much all power tools that can remove body parts) saws....I need to get over it bc I'm missing out!

Ashlee Marie said...

Love it! And good luck on CWTS!!! I'm featuring this as my "treat" of the week on Topsy Turvy Tuesday's! Thanks for linking up.

Ellen said...

What a great banner, and I must say I just love candy corn so that would be my banner of choice. I just adore banners.
Happy Fall
Hugs,
Ellen

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Korrie, They are all adorable but I especially love the candy corn. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Sherry

Geneva said...

CUTE! Loved your tutorial and all the wonderful photographs. This was a great post! TY

Funky Junk Interiors said...

This creation is just AWESOME! And forever. LOVE that part of it.

Shared you on FJI Facebook for SNS 101. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150386943421141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Brooke Ulrich said...

Love this idea! Thank you for linking up to my All Things Spooky series! xoxo!

Megan Gunyan said...

That is so cool! You are so creative. I love that headboard look! Awesome.

Michele @ {Primp} said...

So cute and creative! Thanks for sharing at my linky party this week.

Amy Gilman and Emily Lee (Sisters of the Wild West) said...

AWESOME! thanks for linking up! we featured you this weekend!!
Amy

Heidi said...

Any chance you would cut some and mail them to me? Seriously...if so, what would you charge per piece?

Banners Portland said...

It will surely be painstaking to accomplish your cut outs but the results are totally creative and pretty!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Great use for beadboard! So many possibilities! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!