And no, I didn't find what she wanted!
But I found something for ME!!
Yes, it's a cedar chest. I have a well-known weakness for cedar chests (shown here , plus there's one that hasn't been shown!)
It was in reasonably good shape, although there was some water damage on the top.
The paneling on the sides of the faux drawers could pass for beadboard, although there were weird circular indentations at the top and bottom of each panel. I filled those in with wood filler, as well as the holes from the original (ugly) hardware.
The top I sanded down to bare wood so it could be re-stained. The base just got lightly sanded, then primed.
And now its all prettified! I re-stained the top with Minwax Dark Walnut.
The base I painted with Sherwin Williams Creamy, then I used the Dark Walnut stain to give it a little character.
I replaced the handles with oil-rubbed bronze bin pulls.
I think it looks a little "Pottery Barn"-ish. It's going home to a young woman who just got married, so she has a place to store her wedding memorabilia! I couldn't think of a better use for it!