This little dressing table was dirty beyond belief; it had dark circles on the top, the pretty trimming on the left side was loose, there was veneer loose.... and on it went. It didn't matter; for $10 I was hooked! In the pictures you're seeing, it actually has been cleaned up quite a bit. This thing had spiderwebs everywhere--including behind the pulls! Ugh!!
After lots of sanding, glue, and patience, I got it in pretty decent condition. There were still spots where the veneer was kind of "flaky." My best guess it that this little table sat outside for a considerable amount of time.
I decided to go with classic black for this piece. Here on the left side is where the veneer was the worst. Rather than try to disguise it, I roughed it up a bit more than usual with sandpaper to accentuate all that "natural" distressing!
Here's the big picture. Although it's certainly not in perfect condition, it has a charm all it's own. It could serve as a desk, but one would have to have a pretty small chair to fit underneath of it. I think those old dressing tables almost always had a bench instead. I think it would make a much better entry table.
It found a new owner today...the funny thing is that I think the new owner is going to paint over it! Apparently she couldn't resist those lovely curves any more than I could!